cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE control of library and media import question (BE 12 with single portal library)

Luke_Cassar
Level 5
Hi,
Hopefully this is a real simple question.. sorry if its been asked before but I had a bit of a poke around here and the manual but couldn't find anything.

I am running Backup Exec 12 on Windows 2003 Server connected to a HP Storageworks 1/8 G2 Autoloader. This autoloader features 1 tape drive and 8 slots, one of which can function as a mailbox (or portal I believe Symantec likes to call them). The mail slot on the library is set up, Backup Exec knows about it and how to import and export from it, but....
  1. If I unlock the loader from backup exec by right clicking the device and choosing 'unlock' a job runs that completes sucessfully, but the loader does nothing. I still need to use the controls on the loader itself to unlock the magazines and change tapes.
  2. If I import or export media using a job in backup exec, i have to use the manual  buttons on the front of the library to unlock the mailslot (portal) so as to be able to put a tape in it or take a tape out.
  3. If I am importing multiple tapes, I select multiple empty slots and choose 'import' which starts a job that does what it is supposed to (in the end the multiple tapes are imported), but again I have to open the mail slot manually and close it.. PLUS I also have to click OK or etc.. in Backup Exec to get the tape import job moving onto the next step.

Is there any way to have backup exec physically unlock the magazines (which is a software process in the tape library menu), open the mailslot (also a software process in the tape library menu) and have the tape library let backup exec know that a tape has been inserted into the portal, and that it should proceed with moving that tape to the empty slot (and prefereably pop out the mail slot again for the next tape).

I am using the backup exec drivers for the loader and tape drive.. plus it is a SAS device attached to the media server directly.

I can manage without this functionality personally, but I am trying to make the process as simple as possible so someone else can do it if I am away.

Thanks very much for your input!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
1. Unlocking your autoloader from Backup Exec doesn't physically unlock the autoloader. All it does is release the hold it has over your hardware. This can be verified by trying to unlock a magazine while Backup Exec is open. You'll get a "Locked by host system" message on the OCP of the autoloader.
2. Relates to the above...
3. Relates to the above...

Basically once you've done 1, you'll be able to do 2. and 3.

As far as I know, once the tape is put in, you'll have to run an inventory. But you can probably schedule this in Backup Exec to run an inventory afterwards. The G2 would have a slot assigned as a mail slot...nothing would open here. Your entire magazine needs to come out. Normally Slot 1 (left mag) is designated as your mail slot.
Best bet is to document your steps...that way someone else can follow it to the T.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
1. Unlocking your autoloader from Backup Exec doesn't physically unlock the autoloader. All it does is release the hold it has over your hardware. This can be verified by trying to unlock a magazine while Backup Exec is open. You'll get a "Locked by host system" message on the OCP of the autoloader.
2. Relates to the above...
3. Relates to the above...

Basically once you've done 1, you'll be able to do 2. and 3.

As far as I know, once the tape is put in, you'll have to run an inventory. But you can probably schedule this in Backup Exec to run an inventory afterwards. The G2 would have a slot assigned as a mail slot...nothing would open here. Your entire magazine needs to come out. Normally Slot 1 (left mag) is designated as your mail slot.
Best bet is to document your steps...that way someone else can follow it to the T.