Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE services not starting up

chidi
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Everyone,

I have this issue with backup exec 2012 services not starting after restarting the media server, i did upgrade  from 2010 to 2012 which is seating on windows 2003 standard edition... I have also installed backup exec 2012 service park 1, it`s funny the only workaround that allows me to run backups is repairing the software...Please i would appreciate any help from you guys...

Thank you...

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...moved to a new discussion.

What are the error messages you getting?

Thanks!

JuergenB
   VIP   

Hi,

i had a lot of problem with BE 2012 in the last 12 month.

It started with the upgrade from be 2010 in 2012.

The only and best solution to get rid of ALL Migration Problems.

Get a new Hardware, install at least Windows 2008 R2 Standard in english with all updates!
Don´t use any other language, BE 2012 and SQL has a lot of problems with non english OS.

Then install a clean Backup Exec 2012 release AND apply all available updates.
Do all the updates and live updates with elevated admin rights.
Then you are safe for all migration problems.

Start with new backup rules

But be aware of a lot normal bugs and problems during normal operation.
huge Log Files of 150GB, remote agents crashing with no reason, no support for windows 2012, windows 8, exchange 2013 and all the new (WAVE 15) microsoft products..

good luck

Jürgen

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are the services not starting at all ? If you go to windows services are you able to manually start the B.E. services. You may want to verify that the pasword being used for the following services is correct.

Backup Exec Agent Browser

Backup Exec Device & Media Service

Backup Exec Job Engine 

Backup Exec Management Service

Backup Exec Server

These shoulde be run as domain/administrator and if you right click/properties/logon as you should be able to verify the password there.

JuergenB
   VIP   

Please check you symantec program folder for huge XML report files.

I had such problems with XML reports (5GB, 9GB, 145GB).
The engine tries to read them at startup and fails.

stop all services, check for such files and delete them.

i had these huge file, because backup exec service where running in a loop and have writen the same error message againg and again in the log files.

King_Julien
Level 5

If you only install SP1, try installing SP1a; I remeber there was a lot of issues when installing SP1 and then the services wont' start.