cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWS 9.1 Service keeps stopping

Steve_Roberts
Level 2
I am running BEWS 9.1 rev 4691, on Windows Small Business Server 2003 and keep finding that the backups are failing due to the service stopping. The only thing that appears in the event viewer is a 58061 error, which is asking to media to be inserted.

The thing is that the tape is not full, it only backs up between 95 and 100Gb, instead of the usual 115Gb.

To try and solve the problem I have installed SP3, but the same thing keeps happening.

I had a look at when it was failing, and most the time is was when backing up the MS Exchange server; so I removed the exchange server from the backup selection and created a seperate job that runs once I get into the office. I have also removed from the backup selection the Show Copy Components, MS SQL Server "BKUPEXEC", and the MS Information Store (Found references online that these have casued problems in the past!), but still it keeps failing.

When I manually run a MS Exchange backup during the day, it runs fine and backsup all 8Gb.

Everything had been working perfectly until about 10 weeks ago. When I removed the Exchange server from selection and started the manual backup of it the nornal daily backup ran fine. But then a few weeks ago, the service kept stopping during the backup, and the backup tape was ejected!

Can anyone help?
2 REPLIES 2

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

- Which service is causing the backups to fail?

- check out for the active alerts in Menu "Alerts".

- Also, check out for any relevant event IDs in the event viewer related to the Service that keeps failing ?

- since you can perform backups of exchange (Which backup 8MB of data, maybe the backup spans onto more than 1 media, since it is also asking for an overwritable media.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Steve_Roberts
Level 2
The alerts that I get are:

1. 21.00 Day1: Media Info: Overwriting allocated media
2. 23:45 Day1: Media Inset: Insert overwritable media
3. 05.00 Day2: DB Maintenance: Started
4. 05.00 Day2: DB Maintenance: Summary

The only things appearing in the Event Viewer is event: 58061 which is the alert asking for new media every 15 minutes.

The service only fails when I go into the Media Insert alert and hit cancel. The service that fails is the Job Engine.

I do not believe that is space on the tape that is the problem, as the byte count shows that the process is backing upto 15Gb less than it was before it started going wrong. Plus, as stated I have removed all exchange folders and other items from the selection list that has meant that the backup is doing less that it was before the problems occured.