Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUE 15 - Sharing Tape Library Across a WAN

InsentraCameron
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello,

I hope you might be able to provide some advice.

We have to backup data from the secondary DC. The secondary DC backup process looks like this:

1. Backup to dedupe.
  2. Duplicate to primary DC dedupe (across the WAN).
  3. Duplicate to primary DC tape.

BUE15.png

Within BUE I can:

1. Backup to dedupe.
  2. Duplicate to primary DC dedupe (across the WAN).

The primary DC tape library is not accessible to the secondary DC MMS. There is no way to share the secondary DC MMS.

My current work around is to duplicate the backup sets to tape manually once the original backup jobs are complete.

Do you know if there is any native way within Backup Exec for the secondary DC MMS to be able to see the primary DC tape library.

Kind regards,

Cameron Mottus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  There is no way to do this with your setup.  In order to use a tape library, the tape library must be connected to the media server.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  There is no way to do this with your setup.  In order to use a tape library, the tape library must be connected to the media server.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Whilst you cannot share a tape library accross a WAN, what you can do is

Run backup to local Deduplication Storage at remote site (this job would be set to run on the remote MBE but job would be created on the CAS

Run an optimized duplication Job between the deduplication storage at the remote site and a deduplication store managed by a Backup Exec Server at the central site  (I believe this job also runs on the remote MBE and uses the sharing of the Deduplication folder on the CAS, with the job itself created on the CAS)

Run a duplicate to tape on the CAS (this job is both created and runs on the CAS)

All 3 of the above jobs would of course be in the same overall job definition.

Of course this setup only works as long as your WAN link is reliable and reasonably fast.

This type of configuration does involve enabling the private cloud function on one of the Backup Exec servers that can write to the tape drive (for you probably the CAS) and does need a CASO setup using an ESO license as well as Deduplication Storage (both of which you already seem to have.

I think you also have to share the deduplication folder on the central site with the server at the remote site to run the optimized duplicate job.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Extra point you may need to engage a consultancy partner as I am not sure if using DD OST devices for Deduplication still provides the ability I described above