cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up DFS under 12

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
What is the proper procedure to back up DFS shares under 12?
6 REPLIES 6

William_Branham
Level 3
Dennis, I've never tried to backup via DFS shares, but I have a friend who tried. He was pulling his hair out! He told me he found out that BE does not backup via DFS and has no plans to. I can't claim this to be an authoritative answer, but that is what he found out the hard way.

Bill

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Bill,
Is he trying to do it under v12?  I'm able to do backups under 11d, but it's a total kludge.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
From what I've picked up in another forum is that v12 has not fixed DFS backups.  There are 2 methods I know of under 11d:

Backup the root folder directly, I.E. back up D:\DFSData\UserHome instead of \\domain\dfsshare\userhome.  These backups cannot be redirected on restore.  Inablity to redirect can be a real problem.  Try restoring an Outlook pst looking for that elusive "I have to have that email but I'm not sure when it was in my email" for a type A executive.  Specially one that "must" have full email access while you're restoring pst after pst.

... or ...

Run pre/post jobs to disable the DFS service/restart it on the target server.  Back up the data directly, I.E. D:\DFSData\UserHome.  These backups can be redirected on restore.  If you're running a HA operation this may be problematical (breaking open file connections when the service is stopped can result in hung programs, crashed programs, lost data, screwed up user sessions, etc.).

A possible solution to the issues with the second work around is to have another DFS member server.  I haven't tried this, but it should be workable.  Set permissions on the added member so that only domain admins have access.  That should keep regular users out.  DFS replcates any changes and stopping/restarting the service avoids the issues stated above.  The member server could even be the BE server which could cut the backup time down.  All you'll need is additional disk space and maybe another server.  Hmm...  A work around to a work around.

STeve_O
Level 5
Dennis your information is not correct.

In Backup Exec 11 and 12 DFS is backed up Shadow Copy Componenst - User data leveraging Microsoft VSS DFS writer.

Your correct in 11 that the writer backup can not be redirected restore. This if fixed in 12 and you can restore the data anywhere you like.  There is no need to shut down DFS services unless you want to backup it up at the volume level as you stated othewise the writer will grab the files correctly.

JRV
Level 4

STeve O wrote:
In Backup Exec 11 and 12 DFS is backed up Shadow Copy Componenst - User data

But only if the DFS share is replicated by DFS Replication, and (if ADBO is installed) without benefit of TrueImage and/or Synthetic backups.

BEWS also needs to post a warning when you select a DFS share for backup. It sure looks like it will back up the data when you make your backup selections--but just try to do a restore! This is a huge gotcha.
Because I have a mix of replicated and un-replicated DFS shares, I back up the non-DFS shares so I have a consistent method of selection, and can use ADBO features.

AguyFromBrussel
Not applicable

Hello, I have a similar problem.

We have three sites involved in the problem : one in France, one in Netherlands, one in Belgium. 

The file server we have in Belgium is replicated in Netherlands and is replicating folders from France.

We would like to use backup exec to backup the file server in Belgium and do the same in Netherland.

But since the DFS has been activated, Backup exec send a error message saying that there is a licence problem.  I have no idea of wich component i have to buy to solve the issue.

If there are shadow copy components to install can you please tell me how to do it ?

And except using backup exec wich alternative solution can be used for this case ?