cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Exchange 2003 server

Bruce_Hammitt
Level 2
I am trying to backup our Exchange 2003 Server and have noticed when I look at the Restore the .stm and .edb files are not there. What are you suppose to backup on the server for recovery purposes?
5 REPLIES 5

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Are you doing a flat file backup or an online backup using the exchange agent?
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Bruce_Hammitt
Level 2
> Hello,
> Are you doing a flat file backup or an online backup
> using the exchange agent?
> NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
> business days, this post would be marked assumed
> answered
and would be moved toanswered
> questions
pool.

I am trying to backup the the online backup. How do you do a flat file backup

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
Bruce,

When you back up the information store you will not see the .stm and .edm files for restore.
(That is backup, \\servername\Mircrosoft Information Store\name of store\..... )

The only way to get back the stm and edb files is to restore the whole set to an Exchange server or to use a third party toll to get them out of the backup files or tapes.

Is it this waht you were asking for?

greetings
Peter

Bruce_Hammitt
Level 2
Yes that is what I wanted to know. How come when I try to backup the .stm and .edb files they are greyed out in the window and non-existant on the restore. Second question is what files do I choose when backing up Excahnge using Veritas if these files don't appear in the Restore process.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

To know more about the .edb and .stm files, kindly refer to the below mentioned technote:

During the backup of an Exchange server, the Microsoft Exchange database files are skipped.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/207980

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.