cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up an IOMEGA NAS Ix2-200 to tape

asymantecuser
Level 3

Hi all

Maybe someone has done this before and can help?

We're trying to back up the contents of an IOMEGA STORCENTER IX2-200 NAS to LTO5 tape, using BackupExec 12.5

We can get the job started by backing it up via it's UNC path but the job rate is very slow e.g. 180mb/min

So it would take well over a week to backup the total sum of about 2TB  - Not ideal

We need it to go about 1GB/min.

According to the article below, the device & software are compatible but it's just very slow.

http://iomega.com/about/prreleases/2011/20111013-symantec-backup-exec.html

Would appreciate any tips/suggestions

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

asymantecuser
Level 3

Slight improvement:

Having restarted the NAS it's taking about 2 mins 30 seconds to copy a 1GB file from NAS to Backup Server. That's an improvement but only about 408mb/min which is only a fraction of GB ethernet ability

As it turns out there's an ASA 5510 between the NAS and the Backup server, and only interfaces 0 and 1 are GB enabled on the ASA5510.

Interface 2 is in use in my case and it's limited to 100MB, so this would explain the bottleneck.

Solution in my case; move the NAS inside the firewall, as it's not an option to upgrade ASA license to enable GB on interface 2/3

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

How much time does it take to copy 1GB data from the NAS to the Backup Exec server?

Have you installed all the latest updates for BE12.5 and updated device drivers for the tape drive?

asymantecuser
Level 3

Hi Amol,

Thanks for your reply

Just done a test  - it took 7 mins to copy 1GB from NAS to Backup Server

That's about 146mb/minute, which is less than the backup job rate of about 180mb/min

The same backup server can backup other sources to tape at over 3GB/minute so the backup server is working correctly.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...make sure that the network adapter ports are set to the fastest speed of the NAS (1GB) on the NAS itself, as well as the switch ports.

Do the same for the backup server. If the NAS has AV software installed, disable it.

However, running your copy test within Windows shows this isn't a Backup Exec issue, and is related to your network/NAS setup.

asymantecuser
Level 3

The IOMEGA NAS doesn't seem to have an option to choose 100MB or Gigabit,

so I assume it's running at Gigabit.

There's no AV running on the NAS.

asymantecuser
Level 3

Slight improvement:

Having restarted the NAS it's taking about 2 mins 30 seconds to copy a 1GB file from NAS to Backup Server. That's an improvement but only about 408mb/min which is only a fraction of GB ethernet ability

As it turns out there's an ASA 5510 between the NAS and the Backup server, and only interfaces 0 and 1 are GB enabled on the ASA5510.

Interface 2 is in use in my case and it's limited to 100MB, so this would explain the bottleneck.

Solution in my case; move the NAS inside the firewall, as it's not an option to upgrade ASA license to enable GB on interface 2/3