cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup 2 Disk question

wingnut144
Level 4

Ok, I have set up the B2D function and it seems to be working fine.  I have the media set configured with overwrite protection for 5 days, and append period to 2 days.

Also set is the maximum number of backup sets per backup to disk, set too 100.

This runs every evening, and then on the weekend, its set to copy to tape.

My question is this, is there going to be a problem when the maximum number of backups in the B2D folder reaches 100, and files begin to get overwritten with new information?

I'm guessing that we'll have to do our restores off of tape since the files will have been overwritten in the B2D folder.

Or is there a better way to set this up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The setting what you are referring to is maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file refers to the maximum number of backup sets to be written to each B2D file in that B2D folder.

Coming to restores, you have set opp as 5 days and AP as 2 days. So, the first days backup will become overwritable after 7 days. (assuming that second day's backup appended to that). So, if you have to restore within that week, you can restore from B2D. B2D restores will be faster than from tape.

If you have to restore a file, which backedup more than a week earlier, then you have to restore that files from tape backups. Depending on the retension period you set on tapes, backups will be available on tapes for restores. (Actually backups on tapes will be available for restores till the time it is overwritten)

Regards...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RRE
Level 6

Hi there,

With an OPP of 5 days & AP of 2 days , the B2D files should get overwritten if the file size is set to default i.e 4 GB

Go to Tools ---- Options ----- Media management & make sure the following option is selected

"overwrite recyclable media before overwriting scratch" if you want to overwrite your B2D files after OPP expires

Regarding "maximum number of backup sets per backup to disk, set too 100"  does not indicate that 100 b2d files will get created . It indicates that if you go to select your resources for backup . The maximum allowed set is 100 . So that refers to resources & not B2D files

You can refer the following document for more information on media management

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459

Suggestion : If you have enough space on the hard drive where B2D is created , You can increase the OPP as per the requirements

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The setting what you are referring to is maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file refers to the maximum number of backup sets to be written to each B2D file in that B2D folder.

Coming to restores, you have set opp as 5 days and AP as 2 days. So, the first days backup will become overwritable after 7 days. (assuming that second day's backup appended to that). So, if you have to restore within that week, you can restore from B2D. B2D restores will be faster than from tape.

If you have to restore a file, which backedup more than a week earlier, then you have to restore that files from tape backups. Depending on the retension period you set on tapes, backups will be available on tapes for restores. (Actually backups on tapes will be available for restores till the time it is overwritten)

Regards...

RRE
Level 6

Cheers !!!!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

To expand on Kiran's answer a little

In BackupExec a "backup set" is any resource backed up during a job.  One share, one database, one Exchange Store, etc. 

On a side note, I generally recommend that all Disk based backups only use Overwrite, rather than Append.  It is easier to figure out when data will expire that way