cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Disk-to-Disk-to-Tape (D2D2T), how to remove old files?

marc-willmann
Level 2
Hi,

we have a BE Server 12.5 which backups several Servers ( Windows Server 2003) with BE Agents. Each server backups into his own Backup-to-Disk-Folder. They are on two RAID-5-Arrays with 1.8 TB and 1.6 TB, which are connected via SCSI directly to the backup server.

We want to backup daily to disk and once a week to tape.

The backup jobs ran very well, but the needed time grows and grows since a week. I can see, the RAID-Arrays are full (2-3 GB free) and I think the problem is there. BackupExec is deleting old files (which can be overwritten), but the backup needs now more than 2-4 times longer as normal. Network speed tests shows that network seems okay (1000Mbit/sec-network, fully switched).

Is it possible to delete the Backup-to-Disk-Folders (or their content), when the tape-backup (which saves all of the Backup-to-Disk-folders) was successful? Is it possible to delete every old backup-file (e.g. old incremental backup when new full backup was made) manually?

Where can I find some documentation or howto's related to this topic?

Thanks in advance

Marc
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You  should not need to delete old BKF files.  Using a combination of OPP and APP, you should be able to re-use the existing files

Also, from Tools\Options\Media Management, verify that "Use overwritebel media in the target media set before scratch media" is selected.

You may also need to routinely defrag the array that the B2D device is on, until no more BKF files are being created