Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup ESX and ESXi servers

SOFTimpact
Level 4

I have a company which has :

1 X ESX Server , 3.5.0 and

1 X ESX server  3i , 3.5.0

And i need to backup those 2 servers .. A Partner told me to be able to backup those servers i must have vcenter.

What other options  do i have if i dont have a vcenter application  ?

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

VMware VirtualCenter is optional

Reference - http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO12808

Sush---
Level 6

Please refer to these technotes

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63805 : How to backup VMware Virtual Machines (VM) on ESX 3.02/3.5 servers using Backup Exec Windows Server (BEWS) 12.5 Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure (AVVI).

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63807 : How to restore a VMware Virtual Machines (VM) to a ESX 3.02/3.5 servers using Backup Exec Windows Server (BEWS) 12.5 Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure (AVVI).

Thanks,

-Sush...

Colin_Weaver

Yep you don't need vCenter and if using BE2010 ESX 3.5 does need the latest updates from Vmware and the apllicable licenses to allow the vStorage API to work.

As an aside you should consider upgrading from ESX 3.5 relatively soon, as the next version of Backup Exec due for release early next year will not support it and because of this it is unlikely that we will continue developing fixes for any newly identified issues againt 3.5 backup and restore processes.

jwc1972
Level 5

Hello

New Version of Backup Exec? I have just purchased Backup Exec 2010

Regards

jwc

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2010 was released early last year and BE 2012 is due to be released early next year.  However you don't have to worry.  If you are on a current maintenance contract, you will be able to upgrade for free.

SOFTimpact
Level 4

Three more questions :

1.. How do i go from 12.0 to 12.5 ? 

• With the current licenses that i alrdeady paid

2. Are the licenses of Backup Exec 2010 working in 12.5 ?

and if (a) and (b) can not be done, than the question becomes how do we go to 2010 and how much does it cost.?

current licenses i have :

• Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Server
  • Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
  • Remote Agent for windows &Netware Server
  • Active Directory Revocery Agent
  • Agent for Vmware virtual infrustracture   - > NEW LICENSE

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

If you are on version 12.0, you can directly upgrade to 2010, though the licenses would be different ( if you have an active maintenance contract, you would be eligible for a free upgrade )

Also, licenses are usually backward compatible one version behind

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your BE 12 licence keys will not work for BE 12.5, so you might as well upgrade straight to BE 2010 R3.  A s adviced earlier, you can upgrade for free if you have a current maintenance contract.