Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup EXEC backing up technology

zidanski
Level 3
Partner

Hi there,

i wonder if the only technology for backup exec backing up operation technology is depending on VSS (snapshot) or there are more technologies for it?

also,if VSS only used, i ask about what types of VSS backup exec uses, i.e., Microsoft VSS, others' VSS, and backup exec proprietary VSS are used.

thnx

3 REPLIES 3

Dev_T
Level 6

Hi,

Upto Windows 2000 Server Microsoft did not provide any Snapshot provider as a result Symantec shipped with their own provider known as VSP (Volume Shadow Copy Provider) Since Windows Server 2003 Microsoft started providing VSS and Symantec Backup Exec uses the same VSS for snapshot based backups.

From Windows Server 2008 and Exchange 2007 onwards by default it uses VSS ( we do not have the choice of selecting the snapshot provider as all the backups by default uses VSS)

hope this helps

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

For backing Win 2008 or Win 7 machine there is no option of turning off AOFO.... whart I mean is it is always going to be snapshot backup and will use VSS even if you select or not select the AOFO option in Backup Exec. 

Backup Exec does not use any other VSS other than Microsoft VSS.

This is except for Advanced Disk based Option (ADBO) where the VSS used is the VSS provided by the hardware manufacturer.

Thanks,

-Sush...

API
Level 3
Partner Accredited

There are other Backup options available with Windows systems.

but they are limited no deduplication, no zero day recovery, no GRT technology. this are unique with Symantec BE products.