cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d and MS virtual server

Shankaran_Shanm
Level 3
I am thinking about backing up some production servers in a virtual server enviornment. Are there any known issues with doing this?
7 REPLIES 7

jesus_asphalt
Level 4
Why yes there is.

Since you fail to provide any additional information, that's all for now.

Shankaran_Shanm
Level 3
umm what other information is needed?

just using the simple remote agent.

jesus_asphalt
Level 4
You don't seem to have a clear idea what you want to back up to where. I'm available by the hour rate: $120/hr charged in 15 min. blocks.

Let me know.

Shankaran_Shanm
Level 3
lol no, forums are here for a reason

the question was is there any issue backing up servers running in a virtual enviornment with the 10d remote agent. Most people with virtualization have said they shutdown and backup the image that way, but i was thinking of actually installing the backup exec agent on a server that is virtualized

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
You can install the agent on the virtual server. It's supported for VS2005. As long as you don't try and use the IDR option.

Maxim_Petrov
Level 2
Hi All,
I am wondering if anyone is using virtual machines in the Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 Enterprise Edition environment? If so, could you share you backup strategy.
What I have been trying to accomplish is to back up the virtual servers using the Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition, or a previous version of it called Live State, which creates an image of the machine, like Ghost, and then you should be able to restore it from dos in case of a disaster.
I have been able to create an image of the virtual machine using Live State, but I cannot restore it because when I boot to DOS and select the image to restore from, Live State complains that it does not see the drive to restore to. With Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition it's even worse: I have a trial version, which does not have an option to create the bootable CD, or I just cannot find it, and Symantec told me I have to purchase the product on CD, which is going to be an install and boot CD. Anyway I can create an image of the VM, but I cannot even attempt to restore it as there is no boot CD.
I am not sure now and cannot find any information if these products support the backup and restore of the VMs in the Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 Enterprise Edition environment at all. Has anyone seen or tried anything regarding this?
Thanks a lot.
Any help is appreciated.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
There are some observations on using BE with Virtual Server at http://www.backupexecfaq.com/faq/problems/virtual-server-and-backup-exec.html