cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d- job setup with Quantum PX 502

James_Ravenscro
Level 2
Hi folks,

I recently inherited our backup responsibilty. At my location, we have Backup Exec 10d and a Quantum PX 502 tape library with 2 drive heads running all our backups (weekly full and daily differential)

Right now, our weekly backup is set up to use any available drive with one selection list. Our tape library has two drive heads, but since there is only one weekly backup job, only one head at a time is used which means we are not making best use of our tape library to compress our backup window, IMO. The weekly backup is taking 2 1/2-3 days (including backup and verify) and I believe that setting up two weekly backups (each with half of the current weekly backup selection list) and specifying that each use a different drive head will come close to cutting our total weekly backup time in half.

The only problem that I can forsee is that if one or the other drive heads fails, we will lose half the weekly backup. Right now, the way things are set up, if a drive head failed, backup exec would just switch to the second drive head.

What is the best way to make it so that if one drive head fails, that portion of the weekly backup fails over to run on the other drive head?

Thanks in advance for your help
2 REPLIES 2

James_Ravenscro
Level 2
Help?

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

You could create a drive pool for the 2 drives and run the job targeted to the drive. Please check out the following document for the same:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/262932

Thanks!