cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Rev 2213 "Device ... did not respond within the timeout period"

PWMerner
Level 3
Partner Accredited

The alert log repeatedly fills up with this error message. The backup involved runs successfully without errors though. I believe there is a setting I can modify to change the timeout period for disk backups but it may have been related to an earlier version. There are three 1TB SATA disks available of which Backup-to-disk is enabled in at least one partition on each drive. A normal incremental daily backup involves roughly 4GB of data and runs to completion in about six minutes.

Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Take a look at the TN below relating to SCSI bus timeouts. Give it a read and see if this is relevant to you or not.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5027

THanks!

PWMerner
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I checked the device manager and was able to determine that the disk causing the timeout was recognized by Windows Server 2003 as a SCSI device with drivers provided by Microsoft and by the device manufacturer.

I have reviewed a TN aimed at SCSI tape drives with multiple drives on a chain. This would not be applicable to SCSI hard disk drives that in fact are SATA drives being used by BE as backup to disk drives.

So the revised question is "how do I reset or set the timeout value for the drive I am using for backup to disk"