cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 - Restore help/advice!

peterbarbosa
Level 3

Hey everyone,

Recently, 2 drives on my RAID-5 went bad. This leads us to the point where we are unable to boot into our OS (Server 2003). We are running an HP ProLiant that has HP StorageWorks 440 (tape) installed, and does backup's to tapes every night (full server).

We are running Backup Exec 12, what is the best practice to go about this? I try to use BESR but when I boot into it, it doesn't recognize the tape drive.. Do I need to install an OS first, and load Backup Exec onto it, then recover through there?

Please advise. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do I need to install an OS first, and load Backup Exec onto it, then recover through there?

Yes.  This is correct, but do not join the domain, just leave it in a workgroup.  After this, restore your C: drive followed by the system state.  After a reboot, you will have your system back minus the other disks which you can restore later.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do I need to install an OS first, and load Backup Exec onto it, then recover through there?

Yes.  This is correct, but do not join the domain, just leave it in a workgroup.  After this, restore your C: drive followed by the system state.  After a reboot, you will have your system back minus the other disks which you can restore later.

peterbarbosa
Level 3

Is there anyway to verify before hand if the data is on the tape?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  You will find out during the restore.  If you have verified your data, it is pretty safe that it is there, unless your tape has been damaged since then.

peterbarbosa
Level 3

So, reload Windows 2003, and reinstall Backup Exec 12, and reload from tape?

Will I need to install drivers for tape drive onto Windows and Backup Exec?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Sure.  The tape drive got to be functioning correctly.  You got to install it in BE so that it uses Symantec drivers.

peterbarbosa
Level 3

Is this included on the disk?

pkh
   VIP    Certified