cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 and 12.5 on Server 2008 R2

brucef
Not applicable

We are running Backup Exec 12 and 12.5 on two of our servers that have been upgraded to Server 2008 R2 (from 2003) with all BE Updates applied.

The backups were working fine before the upgrades but I have now got a problem that the backup is failing on several files/folders in the c:\Users folder.  It states "Access Denied" even tough some of the folders were in c:\users\administrator\ which is the account the backup exec serves are running as.  I have also run the credential check and it is reporting no problems.

To check this was the only problem I have excluded the c:\users folder on both servers and the backups are completing fine now.

Has anyone else come accross this problem??

Many Thanks

Bruce

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

BE 12 is not supported as a media server on Windows Server 2008 R2. It's RAWS only from what I can remember.

BE 12.5 does support running on Windows Server 2008 R2 but you need to load the latest BE service pack and patch it thereafter.

Always check the Software Compatibility List of your respective versions before upgrading.

That said, you can do a direct upgrade to BE 2010 R3 after upgrading your licenses. I'd suggest going this route, as with your current versions, you wouldn't be able to back up newer software like Exchange 2010 for example!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

BE 12 is not supported as a media server on Windows Server 2008 R2. It's RAWS only from what I can remember.

BE 12.5 does support running on Windows Server 2008 R2 but you need to load the latest BE service pack and patch it thereafter.

Always check the Software Compatibility List of your respective versions before upgrading.

That said, you can do a direct upgrade to BE 2010 R3 after upgrading your licenses. I'd suggest going this route, as with your current versions, you wouldn't be able to back up newer software like Exchange 2010 for example!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

To use 2008 R2 as media server you need BE 2010 minimum...

Regards...