cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 and SMTP Notification....

BJFD236
Level 2
Hi all,

I am a newbie, so please be kind.....

I am attempting to setup smtp notification on Backup Exec 12.  I am running Server 2003 standard.  I have loaded the pop3/smtp service.  I do not have exchange running on the server.  We use a 3rd party email provider to send and receive email through a web client.  I have setting ready to go in Backup Exec, I am pretty sure.  I am not sure if I am able to use the SMTP service to deliver my outgoing email to smtp.1and1.com.  So my question is how do I configure IIS to allow me to push the email created from Backup Exec to smtp.1and1.com to send it, or is it even possible using the default smtp virtual server in IIS?

Thanks in advance...
Jeff
4 REPLIES 4

chicojrman
Level 6
Open up Backup Exec (The version I'm using is 8.0, please advise if this is any different for other versions).
Click Tools on the Menu and select Notification Setup.
Click on the SMTP Setup button.
Enter the name of the SMTP Server and your email address.
Set the SMTP port to 25 which is the port used in most cases for email.
Click Ok.
Email address : backupserver@ispname.com
SMTP server name : mailserver.ispname.com
Click Tools on the Menu and select Notification Setup.
Click on the SMTP Setup button.
Enter the name of the SMTP Server and your email address.
Set the SMTP port to 25 which is the port used in most cases for email.
Click Ok.

On the Notifications tab, select the event you want to be notified of.
Click the Add Notification button.
Enter the email address to notify or addresses separated by semicolons(;).
Enter the subject line and the message text.
Click Ok.

BJFD236
Level 2
I have Backup Exec setup, but the test button yields no email.....

BJFD236
Level 2
Anyone else???

I am attempting to setup smtp notification on Backup Exec 12.  I am running Server 2003 standard.  I have loaded the pop3/smtp service.  I do not have exchange running on the server.  We use a 3rd party email provider to send and receive email through a web client.  I have setting ready to go in Backup Exec, I am pretty sure.  I am not sure if I am able to use the SMTP service to deliver my outgoing email to smtp.1and1.com.  So my question is how do I configure IIS to allow me to push the email created from Backup Exec to smtp.1and1.com to send it, or is it even possible using the default smtp virtual server in IIS?

Thanks in advance...
Jeff

BJFD236
Level 2
Anyone else???

Thanks in advance...
Jeff