cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 - Faulting application name: beremote.exe - Faulting module name: vixDiskLib.dll

NorDoc
Level 3
I'm having trouble backing up VMware with Backup Exec 2010 with newest updates.

The backup job starts, creates a snapshot, and then the Backup Exec Agent stops on the Backup Exec server:

Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 13.0.2896.0, time stamp: 0x4b184ba1
Faulting module name: vixDiskLib.dll, version: 3.1.0.396, time stamp: 0x4af097b5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000040de
Faulting process id: 0xa4c
Faulting application start time: 0x01caba36f5e372b4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\VMware\VixDiskLib\bin\vixDiskLib.dll
Report Id: 67f431d0-262a-11df-88ea-00215e70e7aa

In the job log Backup Exec reports:
Final error: 0xe000ff18 - A communications failure has occurred with a Virtual Machine resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Backup- xxxxx
V-79-57344-65304 - The Virtual Machine resource is not responding. Backup set canceled.
39 REPLIES 39

configura_magnu
Level 2
I just noticed the two posts mentioning that, sorry :-/ it was too easy to be true. Well, in that case I also eagerly await the answer from the symantec support... :)

Daniel_B
Level 2
My Ticket has been escalated to Adv Tech support and I am currently waiting for them to get back to me.

nbernhart
Level 3
There is now a tech note for this issue:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/347150.htm

I've been told that engineering is now involved in working on this issue.

Robert_Helie
Level 3
Partner Accredited

My Exact error is:

Faulting application beremote.exe, version 13.0.2896.0, faulting module vxssl.dll, version 3.1.5.11, fault address 0x0000000000024503.

rw
Level 3
Has anyone tried "Backup Exec 2010 for Windows Servers revision 2896 Hotfix 344584" to see if this helps.  I just skimmed it and it looks like it addresses quite a few issues.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/344584

Message_in_a_bo
Level 3

I installed this, side note: download the hotfix, I was getting an error using LiveUpdate, during the install of the downloaded hotfix it will ask for the installation CD.

It has fixed my RAWS from crashing, however I am still getting a somewhat random error:

V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.
VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file

I say somewhat because the testing I have done so far mostly works, but the servers it works for do not have SQL installed on them.

I still have more testing to do, but I think the this is a problem with GRT, even when switched off for the backup. I suspect it still tests for the SQL server (so it can mention that GRT can be used). Originally (before this hotfix) I was getting an information "Sales message" saying that I should select GRT for this server because it detected SQL server on it. Now I get the error message above.

Testing: I have a Selection list and policy, the only thing I change is the VMWare Guest to backup. For a server without SQL - it backs up fine, for a server with SQL it fails with the error message. Oddly though it seems to sniff out even possible SQL installations because I have WSUS server with the SQL database for it on a separate server and it fails for this server to.

And enabling GRT -> SQL for a VMWare backup of an SQL server does not fix the problem, same error. Although it does back up and verify something...

I have changed the policy - VMWare options so it only uses NBD (currently that is all we use for VCB).

i have verified my installation of VMWare Agent: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/347113.htm

I have also install Symantec VSS on the SQL server I am trying to backup. This can be done by pushing the agent install to the server again and selecting Open File.

Summary of VMWare Agent backups - all are full backups ESX 3.5i
1. Non SQL servers (we do not have Active Directory or Esxchange) backup OK with GRT swtiched off, NBD selected only.
2. SQL servers with GRT switched off fail Immediately (at 17kb to be exact), NBD selected only.
3. SQL servers with GRT Enabled but the SQL option Disabled, it backs up the VMWare guest, verifies the VMWare guest and then posts the above error message. Figure that out???

I am about to test restoring from the backup in 3. above.

My post is a bit all over the place, if anything is unclear please let me know.

Message_in_a_bo
Level 3

Something I forgot to mention is that I am backing up the VMWare guests to Disk and then duplicating to tape.

If I try to select the backup to disk (of option 3. posted above)  to restore from, the Disk media , it cannot be selected - has a cross though it, says "no selections exist for this resource".

So I decided to check the duplicate (of this very backup) on tape, and this can be selected, and restored, and it boots. All the applications on it seem to be working ok, please note though that I have not connected it to the LAN, I have only logged on to and tested from the console. but it looks ok.

If someone might be able to replicate this and post that would be great. Not sure if it is just my environment that is doing this - but will log a job with Symantec and see what they have to say.

looks like the GRT is a little dysfunctional everything else seems to be working ok.

Message_in_a_bo
Level 3
Job ended: Wednesday, 28 April 2010 at 5:58:29 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0009585 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38277

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- VMVCB::\\"Virtual infrastructure"
VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file

rw
Level 3
This may not be the same issue with your live update, but I've noticed that if I try to run live update from a RDP session it fails/breaks live update.  Then if I go to the actual server console it will also fail there.  The only way I've found (so far) to fix it was to run a repair install of BE.  There is probably an easier way to fix it; I've just been preoccupied with the access rights issues as well see below.  Our hosts are vmware vsphere 4 esxi hosts.

rw
Level 3
OK found an easier way to fix my issue with live update:  run BEUpdateOps.exe then rerun live update.

Live update fails with error - LU1805: LiveUpdate was unable to find any products to Update
Solution URL:  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316846.htm

Message_in_a_bo
Level 3
In addition;

4. Backing up using GRT with SQL GRT enabled has the same results, only the duplicate, not the actual backup, can be restored from.

Message_in_a_bo
Level 3

I just spoke with Enterprise support (My experience with Symantec support had been excelent).

The issue I have been having is with the Independent Disks, independent disks must be set as Exclude in the selection list: select the VM Guest then in Inc/Exc... type in the vmdk file to exclude.

Also, if you have Exchange or SQL on the server and it is installed (or components of) on the disk you have excluded above you must switch of GRT or you will get a warning message.

rw
Level 3
Another Hotfix release for anyone monitoring this thread.  Hotfix 348284

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/348284.htm

Platorian
Not applicable
Im having the same problem to when backing up vmdk's

I getting this randomly Job ended: 10 June 2010 at 20:19:50 Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe0009578 - Unable to copy the virtual machine disk using the VMware VixDiskLib. Final error category: Resource Errors

Does any body know a fix I have all the latest updated on backup exec 2010 ?

I think backup 12.5 was alot better to be honest 2010 shoudnt of been released its way to buggy !

Any help would be great

cheers

nbernhart
Level 3
I've given up on BUexec 2010 for VM backups. I went with Veeam Backup and I am 100% satisfied with it.

PetELong
Level 2
Partner

Jim_S
Level 4

Platorian,  Did you have any luck resolving your specific issue?

I'm getting:

Final error: 0xe0009585 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

Thanks,

Sublaner
Level 4

How does that help? I went down this path and found that pushing RAWS to the remote machine uninstalls the VMware VSS provider anyway.

rw
Level 3

I know this thread is old and this isn't the answer, but:

Like nbernhart, I gave up on BE for our VM backup solution and went with Veeam.  We still use BE though but now we just use it for Enterprise Vault and to transfer the Veeam backup to Tape.

RW

orsinijj
Not applicable

The issue is still happening, seemingly randomly to me... 

Some nights our backups run perfectly, but then others, they almost all fail.  Strange, as I am not making any settings changes from one day to the next...