cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Tap library issue

techn0gru
Level 2

Hi There,

I'm pretty new to the this product since I had to handle a query unfortunately on Backup exec. We have a DELL POWERVAULT 124T tape library with 8 slots and it was throwing an error. This was due to an unexpected power cut and there were none to look into the server room by the time since this place is closed for rennovation.

I had to look into this and saw there were queued jobs for quite longer as none of the other jobs were fired up due to this. However, I manage to sort out and I also saw two clean tapes in the library where as it should be only one as per the earlier IT guy (who's not working here since this property is closed). So, without a second thought, I had put a tape on one of the slot (cleaning tape slot, I believe) by ejecting the existing tape. Once I ran the inventory it started showing empty and I can't even eject it now as it stated empty on the device.

I have attached a screen of the software. I'm not sure what I exactly did and I'm stuck now. Therefore, give me a link or two, or maybe some advise as to what exectly had happened and how to get this fixed.

4 REPLIES 4

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

You cannot run an inventory job on a storage slot that is marked as a cleaning slot.  This is done to prevent wasting cleaning cycles of a cleaning media.  So, if you now want to use regular media in this slot, you would need to change the slot properties in BE to turn off the "cleaning slot" tag.  Then you will be able to inventory it.

techn0gru
Level 2

Hi There,

I'm somewhat following what you're trying to say. It would be great if you could let me know how am I suppose to do that. Or even an article explains on that will also be fine for me to refer through. The library itself is confusing 

Thank you

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Check the TN below and work backwards to disable the slot as a cleaning slot:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000058449

To be honest, reserving a slot in an 8-slot autoloader is a waste. Backup Exec is pretty good at alerting as to when a cleaning tape is required, so my suggestion would be to disable both the cleaning slots and make them available for normal use. When BE alerts you to insert a cleaning tape, do so.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I would suggest the following to make sure that everything is working correctly

1) shutdown both the media server and the tape library

2) power up the tape library

3) power up the server

4) Make sure that the tape library and the tape drive is functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager.  The tape library should show as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver.

5) Check that you have the correct number of cleaning slots.