cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 cannot backup MAC files

DaranDazza
Level 4

We are using BE2010 on a Windows 2008 server and BE consistently reports that an error has occurred - cannot backup the Directory containing MAC files.

Is there a workaround for this at all?

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What are the exact error messages?  Where are these MAC files residing on?

DaranDazza
Level 4

The error message is 0xe000fe09 - The Directory is invalid

Reference:-  'http://entced.symantec.com/entt?product=BE&version=13.0.5204&module=eng-systemstate-backup&error=V-79-57344-65033&language=EN&build=RetailV-79-57344-65033

and the result is unknown webpage when this is entered into URL field

No results found for 'http://entced.symantec.com/entt?product=BE&version=13.0.5204&module=eng-systemstate-backup&error=V-79-57344-65033&language=EN&build=RetailV-79-57344-65033.

DaranDazza
Level 4

Sorry meant to also include that the files are residing in a folder on a win2008 server - in our D drive \Data

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried excluding the 2 offending files from your backup and see what happens?

DaranDazza
Level 4

I have done that as an interim measure, however that defeats the idea of having a backup.

My query is to actually see if there is a possible symantec solution to have these files included.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't know about the other file, but I believe the ._.DS_Store file is created everything the MAC OS accesses a folder, so backing it up is not important.

Did you turn on AOFO for your job?  If not, turn it on and try again.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Verify under the selection details that the directory that B.E. is trying to backup actually exists.. Browse to the location of file/directory on the source box and verify that the path exists in its entirety. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH71493

DaranDazza
Level 4

Well I went back in and checked - the files are definitely sitting the directory as indicated

Also here is the statement from log file:-

V-79-57344-6503313.0.5204eng-ntfs-backupV-79-57344-65033ENRetail - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \DATA\Data\Curriculum\Symphony\Student Placemat and its subdirectories.

The actual folder is named as  Student Placemat Ver 2    

The only difference from all other folders is that this folder contains MAC files.

Would the spaces in the folder be causing the problem?  ( I would not have thought so.)

I have now created a Test Folder inside the Symphony Directory and will see if it backups up the test folder.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The actual folder is named as  Student Placemat Ver 2 

Maybe you should enable the "follow symbolic links" option.

DaranDazza
Level 4

AOFO: Started for resource: "D:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume D: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).

In reply to the AOFO query from pkh - yes it was running.

DaranDazza
Level 4

Well, now the annoying part - while we get the message that the Directory is Invalid it actually backs up the the Directory and the files contained therein - sigh - so a message that is being generated is incorrect.

So far I have not activated the symbolic link feature as I am not sure what it will do to all the data being backed up.