cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010R3 - Server Paused - Can't run inventory, unlock or import

Allen-FIS
Level 2

I have Backup Exec 2010R3 SP4 installed on a Windows 2003 server. We purchased a new 124T LTO5 autoloader and I'm unable to run inventory, unlock, import or export. In the device tab the autoloader does not show as being in paused, but in BEutility it shows as server paused. Removeable storage service is disbaled and all the drivers are correct (library is generic driver, tape drive is symantec, and Dell HBA is current).

As an added not, I have (4) other 124T's at other locations which run fine. They are on 12.5.& 2010R2, but when I first had this issue I read it was supposedly resolved in BE 2010R3, but appears this isn't the case.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you tried to Unpause the server through BEutility.exe itself?

I assume you're running the BE drivers for the drive, and that the robotics shows up in Windows Device Manager as "Unknown medium changer"?

Thanks!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV

...have you tried to Unpause the server through BEutility.exe itself?

I assume you're running the BE drivers for the drive, and that the robotics shows up in Windows Device Manager as "Unknown medium changer"?

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63380

The Utility jobs in Backup Exec will not run until the server is paused/unpaused in the Backup Exec console.

That was supposedly fixed, but apparently not 100%.

As Craig said, here is the workaround:

Workaround:
If the above hotfix is unavailable, you can also pause and unpause the server by right-clicking on the server in the devices tab, and selecting 'pause'.

Allen-FIS
Level 2

I haven't found an option in BEutility.exe to un-pause the server. And yes - all my drivers are what they should be.

fginacio
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Allen,

You need to un-pause thru Backup Exec GUI.

"you can also pause and unpause the server by right-clicking on the server in the devices tab, and selecting 'pause'."

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH63380

Allen-FIS
Level 2

The Autoloader isn't paused in the Backup Exec GUI. It's only paused in the BEutility. The backups run, but we cannot inventory, import, export, or unlock the autoloader.

CraigV

Wait a minute...Windows Server 2003. Is the Removable Storage service stoppedn and disabled? If not, do so and restart the BE services...

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Pause & unpause the SERVER object, not the autoloader.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check that the HBA does not have RAID support.  If it does, make sure it is supported.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70907

You might want to re-install your library

1) Delete the library from BE

2) Stop the media server and the library

3) Start the tape library

4) Start the media server

5) Ensure that the library and tape drive is recognised and functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver.

6) In BE, install the library if necessary.  Go to Tools --> Wizards ---> Device Configuration Wizard to do so.

Allen-FIS
Level 2

Pausing and unpausing the server object appears to have worked! Thank you so much!

CraigV

...please remark this with the correct post that helped you. THis way the correct information is highlighted.

Thanks!