cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Email Notifications Senders Name

Jimhendo
Level 3

Hi,

In Backup Exec 2010 and earlier email notifications would be send with the senders name. Now with 2012 the senders name field in the emails is blank. I rely on this for an backup monitor application I am using. Is there anyway to make backup exec 2012 send through the Senders Name field? emails now just turn up from the email address field, not the senders name.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Here are my settings :

Sender name : BE2012p

BUT I also set the sender email : BE2012p<bmeunier@mydomain.com>

Under Outlook the From field display: BE2012p

So as you say that this field is empty at your side, the workarround defining the sender in the sender email field should do the job.

Regards

I have dropped a screen shot here: http://ctera.altimate-group.net/invitations?invitation=ce70b39fd9e884b7b927

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do post this in the Ideas section as an enhancement to BE 2012.

Jimhendo
Level 3

Ah nope, its more of something that has been left out than an enhancement?? It was in every other version of BE :\

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have a look at this KB-  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73511

Verbatim - To configure email notifications, enter the name of the sender's mail server , the port number that the server uses, and the sender's name and email address.

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Unless I don't well understand, if you navigate to "BE system menu > Configuration & parameters > Alers and notifications> Mail notification, you have ability to define the sender name.

BTW I discovered this site recently: www.onlinebackupmonitor.com

Regards

Jimhendo
Level 3

Yes i have set the "Senders Name" field and the emails in 2012 are not sent with a senders name. The senders name field on emails sent is blank. This was not the case with BE2010 and eariler versions.

I have tested this on two different BE2012 servers and tried using different email servers to send this through.

IMO this is a bug in 2012.... ?

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Here are my settings :

Sender name : BE2012p

BUT I also set the sender email : BE2012p<bmeunier@mydomain.com>

Under Outlook the From field display: BE2012p

So as you say that this field is empty at your side, the workarround defining the sender in the sender email field should do the job.

Regards

I have dropped a screen shot here: http://ctera.altimate-group.net/invitations?invitation=ce70b39fd9e884b7b927

Jimhendo
Level 3

Antimate1 - Thank you yes this works as a work around. Only small problem here is BE will not let you put a space so for a company name you would need My_Company<administrator@mycompany.com, not the end of the world and I can work with that.  

Thanks very much!

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Glad to help and Thanks for making as solution.

Regarding the company name did  you try surrounding the name by double quotes?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

That is what the article that JVWare refers to says

If all you are going to do is just repeat the same info, use a "Thumbs Up" instead

Jimhendo
Level 3

Nope, as soon as you place a space in, Backup Exec gives an error "A single valid email address is required to identify the sender of the notification. Then when you click OK if gives an error with the same wording...

No combination of double or single quotes seems to remove this validation error.

tunji
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Does backup exec 2012 compatible with DELL POWERVAULT NX3100 [NAS]

any suggestion

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I found a solution : using windows char table, select "unbreakable space" and paste it to the sender field... this well works for me.

Regards

Jimhendo
Level 3

Ah great, thanks Altimate1 this works fine as a work around to this bug.

Cheers

James

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Great Troubleshooting!

I've set the support flag for this thread so that hopefully, Symantec will create a TechNote