cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Exchange 2010 backup fails

JvL235
Level 3

We are trying to make an incremental Exchange 2010 standard edition backup. The full-backup runs without problems but the incremental job gives me the following error:

Final error: 0xe00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-515 The timestamp in the next log does not match the expected timestamp. '

I can only find solutions based on older versions of Backup Exec.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You might want to re-register VSS.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70486

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Please check the link below ,& try to add the keys in registry as mention in the documents ,Also note the link is for the issue in in BE 2010 but then you can try as it could be also a case that it could be an issue in BE 2012

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH186423

Thanks

RSingh1
Level 2

AshwinApte
Level 4
Employee

Do you have another backup or  replication software running in between the full or incremental, the error generally indicates that between Full and incremental something else may have caused a mismatch in the logs, which generally happens when something else is touching your Exchange database in between your two backups

JvL235
Level 3

The backups are written to a Datadomain storage System DD610. Is is connected by CIFS. The CIFS folder is exclusive for the backup job. After the backup is done the Datadomain replicates the backup to an offsite second Datadomain system.

First I will try to run a new full backup and a new incremental backup.  If this does not solve the problem I will take a look at the register keys.

MikeKaro
Level 2

I'm having the same issue, been trying to fix this with a Symantec engineer for over a month.  Tried both links above, to no success.  I'm being asked to run a repair on the DB, though it's only been in service for a couple of months.

If you run a full backup non-GRT, then a full with GRT, the incremental will then run successfully, but only ONCE.  I've never had any more luck than that.

Just curious:  OP was your BE2012 a full install or just an upgrade?

Mike

JvL235
Level 3

Hi MikeKaro,

We did a fresh install of BE2012 and Windows 2008 R2. 
This weekend the backup ran but failed again.This time  there was a problem with the VSS writer. 

Snapshot technology error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

The backup job is currently running again. I changed the VSS writer to Microsoft VSS Writer.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You might want to re-register VSS.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70486

MikeKaro
Level 2

JvL235, so does that mean you're incrementals are working now?

Mike

David_Palmersto
Level 4

We have also found that our Exchange server gets into this VSS writer funk after a few backups with BE2012 and rebooting the exchange server fixes the problem. When you changed the VSS Writer did you also reboot the server? If so, it may have been the reboot that actually 'fixed' it.

JvL235
Level 3

Thanks for the replies. Very helpfull.

After re-register the VSS and reboot the VSS problem are gone. I dsuccesfully did a full backup of Exchange 2010 last night. I started a new incremental backup a few minutes ago. I'll keep you posted.

JvL235
Level 3

The incremental backup ran succesful. It is a bit hard to say what resolved the issue.

After the initial problem we did a new Full backup, then the VSS problem came which was resolved by re-registration of the VSS Writer. The finally a reboot of the server.  After that everything worked.

Thanks for the help guys.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

You can mark the post as solved. and good to see all working fine.

Thanks