cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 + Exchange 2010 backup failure

RyanPercival
Level 3

Hi All,

After days of trawling the forums and google trying my hardest to find a solution to my problem i have given in and decided to ask for help.

I have inherited a backup exec 2012 (SB edition) system all running on one box which is Small Business Server 2011, the box runs the exchange file server and backup server, i've created 2 seperate jobs as i found this was the best method to back up the server (one for exchange and one for files) however the exchange server job won't get past the credentials check, i have followed the admin guide ans the user has all the required permissions.

I did find someone who said the backup user account had to be part of the local admins group however it is full domain admin and the server with exchange is ofcourse the only DC meaning it has got no local security groups.

Any help is greatfully received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the BE account configured as the System Logon Account and is it in the format domain\admin ?

Are the BE services (except the Remote Agent service) running under the same account ?

If yes, then SGmon debugging should help narrow down the failure cause. Additionally, as suggested earlier, does running SymHelp give any errors ?

EDIT*

One last point. Have you tried running an actual backup itself ? A failure on credentials test should not prevent from running an actual backup itself. Could be a red herring on the credentials.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6

Pls ensure all requirements are met as per -

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH85944.html

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO99177.html

RyanPercival
Level 3

Hi VJware,

I have checked all of the requested information and everything is correct, the only thing i can't do as stated in my original post is "add the Backup Exec user to the local administrator group.

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

What error does the credentials check fail with ? Could you post a screenshot ?

Also, is the Exchange VSS writer visible when running the following command via a cmd -

vssadmin list writers

Does running the SymHelp Tool return any errors - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.tech105414.html

RyanPercival
Level 3

Hi VJware,

The error is below:

Credentials Check
Device       : FE9B8BED-CB7C-4F99-9245-5951FAE414EE, \\QB-SERVER.server.local\Microsoft Information Store
Check status : Success
Device       : FE9B8BED-CB7C-4F99-9245-5951FAE414EE, \\QB-SERVER.server.local\Microsoft Information Store\Mailbox Database 2013060711
Check status : Error: e000ff21, The job failed with the following error: 
Backup Exec was unable to obtain configuration information from the Exchange Server. Review the credentials to ensure that it has the Exchange Organization Administrator role and sufficient rights.

Device       : FE9B8BED-CB7C-4F99-9245-5951FAE414EE, \\QB-SERVER.server.local\Microsoft Information Store\PublicFolderDatabaseQB-Server
Check status : Success

VJware
Level 6

Have you verified if the BE account indeed has Exchange Organization Administrator role ? Verify this by running the following command using a powershell -

Get-RoleGroupMember "Organization Management"

Also, is the Exchange VSS writer present ?

RyanPercival
Level 3

I have checked and the group and the account has the permissions as it is in domain admins added manually and also in the exchnage org admin group.

i have also verified that the Microsoft Exchange Writer is stable with no errors.

VJware
Level 6

Is the BE account configured as the System Logon Account and is it in the format domain\admin ?

Are the BE services (except the Remote Agent service) running under the same account ?

If yes, then SGmon debugging should help narrow down the failure cause. Additionally, as suggested earlier, does running SymHelp give any errors ?

EDIT*

One last point. Have you tried running an actual backup itself ? A failure on credentials test should not prevent from running an actual backup itself. Could be a red herring on the credentials.

RyanPercival
Level 3

I have managed to get it to successfully back up my exchange server, it turns out someone had change the remote agent to run as the back up exec user and not the local system account.

thanks