cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Failure on System State Backup

RescueMe
Level 3

Hoping someone can provide some insight into this issue.  When I try to backup the System State on a client's SBS 2011 server, the backup fails with the following error message:

BackupV-79-57344-850 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot technology error (0xE0000352): The specified volume does not exist. Recreate the volume, and then try the job again.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

I have looked at the Windows Event Viewer and do not see anything of significance.  I came across the following maybe related Microsoft Support article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968247

But, I do not see any services with an invalid path specified.  I'm stumped.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

27 REPLIES 27

RescueMe
Level 3

I created a new backup job that only backs up the System State.  The debug log is from that job.  I terminated the log capture shortly after the job ended, with errors, in Backup Exec.  If you need data from after this point, I can capture another debug log.

Thanks.

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Yes, please, a new complete debug log is essential.  Perhaps wait until the logging is quiet. Thank you.

RescueMe
Level 3

Sorry for the confusion.  Please find attached a complete debug log.

Thanks.

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Perfect!  The failure appears to be occurring due to an inaccessible volume path being reported by the System State System Files VSS Writer.  Specifically, the following: 'g:\program files\intuit\quickbooks 2012\qbdbmgrn.exe'.  Please search and collect the Windows Services Key information to determine if this is a 3rd party Windows Services being reported by the System Files VSS Writer.  We can discuss workaround and solution options when it is determined the origin of the entry.  Thank you.

Search and collect the Windows Services Registry Key by executing the following command:

(21) REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /f "qbdbmgrn.exe" /s

RescueMe
Level 3

Requested info. appears below:

C:\Users\netadmin>REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /f "qbdbmgrn.exe" /s

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\eventlog\Application\QuickBooksDB22
    EventMessageFile    REG_SZ    G:\Program Files\Intuit\Quickbooks 2012\QBDBMgrN.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\QuickBooksDB22
    ImagePath    REG_EXPAND_SZ    G:\Program Files\Intuit\Quickbooks 2012\QBDBMgrN.exe -hvQuickBooksDB22

End of search: 2 match(es) found.

RescueMe
Level 3

Success!! 

The g: drive is a mapped drive that points back to a share on the c: drive.  I updated the ImagePath registry value above with the "actual" path and the system state is now backing up.

Where do I send the tin of thank you cookies?

Thanks!!

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Great news!   Thanks for the offer  :)    In lieu of the cookies, please consider marking this post as solved so others with this issue can perform some self-help diagnostics.  Glad to help.  Thank you!

_Bugs_
Level 5

This metadata is updated by BE whenever a new explicit browse (or backup) of System State is performed (not a browse refresh, must be a complete re-browse).

Where do i have to browse?

I migrated the FRS to DFSR before the weekend. Does ist mean that the content of the FSR-Writer is no longer necessary?

So, after migration to DFSR all Backups are working normal as they should, Thank you very much for your help.