cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Invalid Storage Device Convert to Virtual

arielc
Level 4

Hi,

I was trying to convert a physical backup to virtual using the convert to Virtual Point-In-Time feature from one of our month tape media and it doesn't work. All it says after I've setup all the necesarry configurations for Hyper-V conversion is "Ready;Invalid storage device". It doesn't make any sense since the tape is already in the tape drive, had run Inventory and Catalog, I could see the backup sets in the tape.

When I try to convert the same server from a recently tape backup it works, but when I use a several months old tape backup it just says "Ready;Invalid storage device" and doesn't run.

Do you guys have any solution with this?

7 REPLIES 7

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try to catalog the old tape again with Backup Exec. 

arielc
Level 4

Hi Jaydeep,

Yes, I did that already also.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Could you try and confirm if this tape has a Full backup. Alternatively, if you a B2D folder, you could try to duplicate that job from a Tape to Disk and see if you can convert from there.

arielc
Level 4

Yes, I've tried that also and it didn't work. But I'm trying it again now with a different tape media. I'll let you know if it will work this time.

arielc
Level 4

It is a Full backup. I've duplicated the tape to the disk and re-catalog the backup sets and still its says the "Ready;Invalid Storage Device". I notice when I select the Point in time, it still says the media as the tape. I can't seem to find the point-in-time to the duplicated backup sets on the disk.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

It would be best if you could open a support case as some advanced debugging should allow support to fix this faster.

arielc
Level 4

Ok, I'll do that.