cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Media Server

PPD_Tech
Level 4

I have a remote location running BE 2012 SP1a on a single Media Server with an LTO tape library connected.  During the installation, we did not apply Hotfixes 180964, 189571 or 194470 since we were in a time crunch.  My question is that I have read that once these Hotfixes are applied the agents need to be updated.  Do all agents "have" to be pushed as soon as the Media Server is updated or could the agents be updated at a later time?  My end-user is hoping we can roll the updates out to the agents as the devices are available at the location.

My second question for this particular location is that the user had a power interruption during a job that was backing up one of the devices on the floor.  She cancelled the job and after 12 hours the job did not cancel itself (these particular jobs run in less than 10 minutes).  I had her stop the BE services on the Media Server, she was forced to end task on the bengine.exe to get it stop.  Is there a more graceful way to stop these services if they appear to be hung.  Forcing the bengine.exe to stop throws some strange expiration date on the tape and at point we are no longer able to write to append data to it.  Does anyone have any suggestions on ending these processes that are hung up or fixing our tape issue if we have to end process on the exe.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Solution4all
Level 4

Hi,

Agents can be updated later. Backups will compleate with exception that remote agent is not updated and you will be able to restore Data.

(Fixes which came with these updates are not applied till you update remote agent.)

If backup job is stuck in cancel pending state we need kill process however it marks end of marker on the tape due which we are not able to write on that tape. To rewrite data on tape you need to errase it.

thanks,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Solution4all
Level 4

Hi,

Agents can be updated later. Backups will compleate with exception that remote agent is not updated and you will be able to restore Data.

(Fixes which came with these updates are not applied till you update remote agent.)

If backup job is stuck in cancel pending state we need kill process however it marks end of marker on the tape due which we are not able to write on that tape. To rewrite data on tape you need to errase it.

thanks,

PPD_Tech
Level 4

Thanks for the reply. 

On this question:

I thought that might be the case but we have other media sets from previous backups so this is not really an option. 

Any ideas as to why ending the process is changing the date on us?

Solution4all
Level 4

Ending process should not change date. You might need to create support case for further diagnosis.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To re-use a tape with end marker unreadable, you just need to overwrite it.  There is no need to erase it first.