cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Scheduled Library Unlock job

MichaelY
Level 3

Backup Exec 2012 doesn't seem to have an obvious method for creating a scheduled Unlock job for our tape libraries.  But I was able to create what I hope will work with the following steps:

-Double click on the library to go into "Robotic Library details"

-Check mark "Pause" to pause the library.

-Click on Unlock... an unlock job will appear in jobs as ready;no idle devices status.

-Double click on the job and go to Schedule.

-You can now change it from Run Now to Recurrence with your desired schedule.

-UnPause the library.

But, you are stuck with what ever job name was created by default.  That, evidently you cannot edit.  This is just one of many examples of the inflexibility of BE2012 that makes it so maddening.  Anyone have a better way?  And yes, I know there's probably a command line method that can be launched with Windows Task Scheduler.  But you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to do something that was so easily occomplished on previous revs.

I also find it anoying that the job doesn't show up with the backup jobs.  Sure its not a backup job, but if I know I've got other jobs that will run over time on any given day and I want to put a hold on the device utility jobs, I don't want to have to jump around to various other screens to find them.  I would like to have one master list of jobs like I did with Backup Exec 2010.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I am not mistaken, one of the changes in BE 2012 is that the library is no longer locked during operations.  You can check this out by trying to eject the magazines after an operation like backup, but without doing an unlock first.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I am not mistaken, one of the changes in BE 2012 is that the library is no longer locked during operations.  You can check this out by trying to eject the magazines after an operation like backup, but without doing an unlock first.

MichaelY
Level 3

I'll have to check that out as tape swap Friday did not go well this last week but maybe I had other factors involved.

If what you say is true, doesn't that opens up another can of worms?  That library lock is a good thing.  If my dupe to tape jobs are running over time, I don't want the tape swap folks swapping the library's magazines while jobs are running.  So does that mean I now have to schedule a lock job?  If so, same problem.

But yea, I'll try what you mention and also try while jobs are running. 

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

If you wish to change back to the pre BE 2012 library locking style, I believe this will help you.

How to change Backup Exec's robotic library locking behavior

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67698

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I too prefer the old behaviour, i.e. the library is locked during operations

You can schedule the BEMCLI cmdlets Submit-BELockJob and Submit-BEUnlockJob to lock and unlock the library respectively.

Sym-cr
Level 5

Hi MichaelY,

It's a harsh fact that, BE 2012 does not give us a normal scheduling option for Unlock/Lock operation. However, I really appreciate the workaround you came up with.

You can try this workaround as well:

If you want to schedule Unlock/Lock operation on the library, keep the library engaged with some other backup or restore job.

For e.g. if any test backup job is running to the library and at the same time you are trying the Unlock/Lock operation, it will open up a seperate window where you will have the option to schedule the Unlock/Lock operation.

"Something is better than nothing"

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the TN is tagged as far as BE 2010...are you sure this is even relevant to BE 2012...?