cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Virtual Library Drive

NMC27
Level 3

We are testing Enterprise BEX 2012 and have selected Virtual Library option license however i cannot find any documentation anywhere how to configure virtual library / drives. How do you add the virtual library?

This is not SAN attached for the moment so purely testing with local drive, is this possible?

Could someone point me in the right direction please? found docs for netbackup etc.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What VTL software you are using??? Refer to that software documentation for configuring it with Windows.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you configured the VTL in server? Make sure you can see the Medium Changer and tape drives in Operating System device manager. Once visible you can run Device Configuration Wizard/Configure Storage Wizard to configure the library. It is exactly same as configuring the physical library. There is no much difference.

Backup_Admin2
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Yes, I agree with Kiran. It is exactly as configure the physical tape library. once you see the VTL Medium Changer and Tape Drives in the device manager, netbackup or backup exec will identify the VTL.

let me know if you need more assisstance, I already configure the VTL on one of our customer site this month :).

regards,

NMC27
Level 3

So do i have a storage device which i then configure in windows as a tape library?

thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You were saying you will use local disk??

First you have to configure VTL in Windows as tape library and you can use local disk as storage for creating tape volumes. once done and detected in Windows device manager you can use Configure Storage Wizard to configure VTL with Backup Exec.

NMC27
Level 3

Yes using a local disk as test

VTL in windows as tape library?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What VTL software you are using??? Refer to that software documentation for configuring it with Windows.

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

Do you have a VTL?  If you don't have one, you don't need the license.

The VTL license is just a license that is an alternative to using multiple LEO (Library Expansion Option) licenses.  The VTL license is there for license/financial reasons, it doesn't unlock or add any features or functionality.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22779

About the Virtual Tape Library Unlimited Drive Option

NMC27
Level 3

thanks to everyone for their responses....all sorted now :)