cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I backup VM with RDM and dynamic disks?

Jirka
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have BE 2012 with latest hotfixes. I have some VMs on ESXi 5.0 with RDM data disks and system disk on vmdk file. Some of the disks are dynamic. Data disk are stored on storage with dedicated snapshot backup. I need solution for quick restore VM - only system disk and configuration.

When I use backup over VAAI, job end with error described here:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124365
Only possible recommendation by Symantec is backup VM as physical server.

When I try restore VM from backup as physical server, job fail with error.
In this article Symantec write, Dynamic disk not supported.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74212

Has Symantec solution for VMs with RDM and dynamic disks?

Jirka

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You define the disks first and then restore the data as if they are physical disks.  Do not use the convert to VM.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nitin_P
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Jirka ,

As of now, RDM backup is not supported. The reason is VMware limitation based on vStorage's inability to snap RDM's.

So , yes the possible recommendation is to backup using remote agent.

Please confirm , the job as a physical server backup , is it completed with any error or exception ? If yes , please provide the same.

Jirka
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I made backup using remote agent. But I can't restore VM from this backup, because VM contain one dynamic disk. BE don't support convert backup to VM with dynamic disk. Only basic disks are supported. Dynamic disks are not supported. I don’t know if exist another way to restore it back as VM.

Jirka

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You define the disks first and then restore the data as if they are physical disks.  Do not use the convert to VM.

Nitin_P
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Jirka ,

Based upon your explanation , it looks to me that the Backup using Remote Agent from Guest OS is working fine. So , I think all you need is just to define disks in VM and then restore the data as if it was a normal remote agent for windows restore. This should work for you as a solution in case of Dynamic , in fact in case of RDM as well. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Thank you for confirming what I have said earlier.

Jirka
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I prepared new VM in VMware and then I used Simplified Disaster Recovery CD for restore from BE server. This is longer process but VM was restored.

Thanks