cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 exchange restore PF data asking for old b2d file

etraverssmith
Level 2

Hello.  I have a backup exec 2012 set up to do weekly backup of exchange 2010 on windows server 2008R2. This is followed by incrementals.  the backup is targeted on an RD1000 external drive.

I have a full backup from this past Friday I would like to restore data from.  I choose the restore option, filter the date based on when the backup occurred, select the data I need restored (granular data from a public folder), set the job to run.

The restore ejects the drive containing the backup and requests an old B2D file.

I have verified the backup ran and to what B2D file, but the restore is asking the old B2D file.

I can see from the backup job history that the backup of the data in question went to a file called B2D001273; the restore is asking for B2D000165.

I checked the properties of the full backup job and it is set to do a full backup each friday; it appears to snapshot the system.

Any suggestion on how I can restore the data I need, or any explaination why it is asking for a B2D file from months ago instead of the most recent?

Thanks.

Edit: Here is the relevant section from the Log, a screenshot from the restore wizard, and a screenshot after the restore starts asking for an old B2D file at the bottom...

Drive and media information from media mount: 6/29/2013 1:57:24 AM
Drive Name: RD1000
Media Label: B2D001273
Media GUID: {bb1e3a4f-f75c-457a-93b4-39724d990d0c}
Overwrite Protected Until: 7/13/2013 1:57:24 AM
Appendable Until: 12/30/9999 4:00:00 PM
Targeted Media Set Name: Keep Data for 2 Weeks
Keep for: 2 Week(s)

All Media Used
 B2D001273

IMG000503

IMG000504

B2D001274

B2D001275

B2D001276

Job Operation - Backup

Backup Options

Media operation - Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available.

Compression Type: Hardware [if available, otherwise none]

Encryption Type: None

Server - UWEX1

Snapshot Technology: Started for resource: "\\UWEX1\Microsoft Information Store\Public Folder Database 0591277326". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "D:" .
The snapshot technology used by VSS for volume D: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).

Set Information - \\UWEX1\Microsoft Information Store\Public Folder Database 0591277326

Backup Set Information

Family Name: "Media created 6/29/2013 1:57:15 AM"
Backup of "\\UWEX1\Microsoft Information Store\Public Folder Database 0591277326"
Backup set #1 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "uwex1-Full System Backup-Full"
Backup Method: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
Microsoft Exchange Server Agent: Started
The option to enable the restore of individual items from the database backup was selected for this backup.
Backup started on 6/29/2013 at 1:57:46 AM.

Backup Set Detail Information

Media Label: IMG000503
GRT backup set folder: E:\IMG000503
The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database Database was successful.
The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange transaction log Logs ( E0100003308.log - E010000334C.log ) was successful.
Backup completed on 6/29/2013 at 1:58:16 AM.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

4 REPLIES 4

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When the backup was performed, was it set to append to media, overwrite if no appendable media available? If yes, it first could have appended to an older .bkf file before starting to create new files. If the restore job is asking for that media, it seems like something from the backup set is on that media as well.

Try inserting the only disk cartridge and see if it starts the restore. If this is not possible, you could try to rebuild the catalogs to check if you had any catalog errors which lead to asking the old file.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

it first could have appended to an older .bkf file

For BE 2012, there is no way to append to disk media.

etraverssmith
Level 2
This system uses the "notorious" RD1000 drive with a removable 1 TB disk cartridge. The drive is swapped every Friday morning and I use a script to wipe the disk contents before the backups run (as BE2012 cannot overwrite the drive by itself at the moment until we get R2 apparently......). the backups are configured to run a full backup of the server on Friday night. the backup of the exchange server ran successfully and as noted in the screenshots I am selecting to restore data from the backup that ran last Friday. The backup logs also indicate the Public Folder data I am backing up contains 500+ MB of data which is what I would expect. In short, why/how can it possibly be asking for a much older B2D file? I am pretty sure I re-cataloged the backup but will do that again once I have staff onsite to re-insert the drive. When it asks for the older B2D file it ejects the current cartridge and as I'm not onsite I have to wait for staff to push it back in again.....

etraverssmith
Level 2

OK so I went to the storage tab, into the loaded media, found the backup sets, re cataloged everything that was backed up on the 29th of June. then I went back to the server tab for the server I need to restore the data for, went through the process and it still asks for the old B2D file see attached screen shots. I find it very troubling that even such a simple task seems impossible. Symantec Support - what am I supposed to do? my client has paid for Symantec backup exec support for over 10 years and never had to call for support with any other previous version; this version has been so problematic we chose to let support expire on June 15 while we evaluate our options to either stick with Symantec or move to a different product. the apparent failure of this version to be able to recall and restore data shakes my confidence of all the other data backed up on the system? Will I be able to restore anything if I need it? this is crazy.

Capture3.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture7.JPG