cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 vs DAG restore from incremental shows full backup items

Typeroon
Level 3

Hello,

I did a test restore from my DAG incremental backup and noticed that what I see is actually all the items that are within the full backup + the items that were taken during the incremental backup.

I went into the DAG backup job history and noticed that following.  (see image as a reference)

the full backup job took 504Gb of data (whic is similar to the actual size of our Exchange Database)

There is a job called "Meta Data Index Catalog" that I never created.  it's been created by itself.  I checked on all other backup job and none of them has that kind of job.  Is is particular to Exchange ?     And does the system created it by itself ?

If you look at the "Byte Count" colomn for this catalog job,  it cataloged 946Gb of data.    I need explanation for that.

then the verify job took place and verifed 504Gb of data wich is the same as the backup job itself.

Tow days later,  I did an incremental job for my Exchange DAG and only 7.74Gb of data were taken.   Wich may be ok but I cannot confirm.

But the Catalog job catalogued 452Gb of data.   Why not just 7.74Gb.

And the verify job verified 7.74Gb of data.

Can someone explain me how DAG backups works exactly ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Capture1.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In BE 2012 you get a synthesied view of Full and Incremental while restoring the data.The Metadata index catalog job is autocreated and only catalogs the GRT information for Exchange. The byte count shown for this job is cosmetic and only indicates the amoount of GRT data cataloged. This does not mean that that is the amount of data backed up by the job.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In BE 2012 you get a synthesied view of Full and Incremental while restoring the data.The Metadata index catalog job is autocreated and only catalogs the GRT information for Exchange. The byte count shown for this job is cosmetic and only indicates the amoount of GRT data cataloged. This does not mean that that is the amount of data backed up by the job.