cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - Deleting expired jobs on USB drives automatically?

Mark_Valpreda
Level 5

I needed to recover a file today. I plugged in the USB drive from the backup job I needed. I check the storage tab and the drive is empty. I check the drive and there is nothing left on there but the BEData folder. I grab another drive, check it on my laptop first and see that it is full. I plug it into the media server....same thing....deletes all the jobs! I had a really old drive and it deleted everything....but the more current job. Retention was set for 2 weeks and all these jobs were more than 2 weeks old.

Is there a way to prevent BE2014 from deleting expired jobs when a USB drive is plugged in? Seems silly to delete jobs when I'm trying to use that drive for recovery!

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Well, if you are going to recover files from that USB drive, ideally the retention period should have been much longer than 2 weeks. Else, you could have chosen to manually "Retain" the backup sets.

And when you plug in the storage (USB drive in this case) to the BE media server and run an inventory/catalog, BE recognizes it as its storage and runs the DLM process to groom the backup sets as they were expired.

Additionally, to prevent these backup sets from expiring in the future when the USB drive is reattached, do ensure "Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations" option is enabled for the storage properties.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To prevent your problem, by default, all disk storage are set to read-only if they are off-line for a certain period. Click on the BE button ---> Configuration and Settings ---> Backup Exec Settings ---> Storage and check the setting circled in blue (3rd circle) that you have not set it to a very long period.

BE 2014 - Storage.png

Mark_Valpreda
Level 5

I didn't try and run an inventory or catalog. It just started deleting the jobs. I have another set of files to recover tomorrow, so I have set those drives for read only in Backup Exec....even though they are not plugged in. Hopefully they

I don't remember any version previous to 2014 doing this. I still feel like there is another option I need to have selected so Backup Exec will overwrite expired jobs only during the backup operation, and not simply when I plug it in.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
All this is due to DLM which was introduced in BE 2012. Other than the setting in my earlier comment there is no other setting

pkh
   VIP    Certified
All this is due to DLM which was introduced in BE 2012. Other than the setting in my earlier comment there is no other setting