cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Server ESO

Mazhar6520
Level 4

Hi,

We have 12 branches with 12 file servers. We would like to manage backup for all the branches from head office .

1. Do i need to purchase 12 Backup Exec server licenses along with 1x enterprise server option?

2 Can we install Backup Exec server on file server as we have sufficient space.

Note as we are running on budget, we are not planning to have another physical server on each site. Will you please suggest what could be the best solution.

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1) One ESO license is required per managed environment. Yes, you would need 12 BE server licenses, however best to check with the licensing team as to how many servers constitute a managed environment and thereby how many ESO licenses you require.

2) BE can be installed on a file server as long as the OS is compatible.

Mazhar6520
Level 4

Thank you VJ.

So i do not have to purchase saperate license for file servers as Backup Exec server which will be installed on file server will be sufficient just to make sure we are compying in terms of licensing.

Is there any limitations with ESO qty? I mean to say 1 license x ESO will be sufficient for our environment?

Note we will be just saving data on NAS on all branches and NAS is not going to be backup.

Should we also need to purchase license for NAS? The data on file server will be saved on NAS device.

Thanks

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Here is a link to the Backup Exec 2014 licensing guide that may help answer your questions:

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/other_resources/b-backup-exec-2014-licensing-guide-...

VJware
Level 6

No licenses are required for NAS.

Best to check with Licensing at (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_care.jsp) if 1 ESO license is sufficient or not.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No licenses are required for NAS

I think this should be qualified.  No licenses are required for NAS if you are backing up to it, but an AWS licence is required if you are backing up the NAS using CIFS.

VJware
Level 6

Thanks for the suggestion. My response was per the OP's clarified statement ~

"Note we will be just saving data on NAS on all branches and NAS is not going to be backup.

Should we also need to purchase license for NAS? The data on file server will be saved on NAS device."

Mazhar6520
Level 4

1. From recovery point of view if the file server itself which is installed on Branch site goes down how can we recover the file through NAS storage as backup server license is also installed on it.

2. What does Enterprise Server license does actually when we need this for central management purpose.

3. Will there be much traffic on WAN when we use the CASO/ESO license?

4. Is it suitable to purchase deduplication license? If yes do i need to purchase this for all sites or just 1 license will be sufficient.

VJware
Level 6

1) You can either use SDR method (Simplified Disaster Recvery) or perform a manual DR of the BE server.

2) The ESO includes the Central Administration Server Option (CASO), SAN Shared Storage Option (SAN-SSO) and the Advanced Disk Based Option (ADBO). For Central Management, the CASO is required and hence the ESO license. KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH196579

3) If only for management purpose, no, the traffic will not be much. However, depending upon the catalogs location which you choose while setting up CASO, there can be. (For egs, Centralized and Replicated catalogs use up much more traffic than the Distributed mode). KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99086

4) DeDupe helps in reducing the storage space and can help in optimized duplication (duplication of backup sets between your BE media servers). Afaik, it will be one Dedupe license per BE server where the DeDupe storage is being used.