cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 adds USB drive to backup selection automatically

corriessol
Level 3

I am trying to run a daily backup (same selection list) to a storage pool of usb drives each configured as disk storage.  There are 5 disks setup and are all part of the storage pool.

The job works fine apart from Backup Exec automatically edits the selection list and adds the usb drive to the job when running?  So in effect, the backup job runs, backs up the required files but also the disk itself.  Why does Backup Exec see it right to add the disk to a job I have created? I don't want it to see the disk and think, I will back this up even though the user hasn't specified it in the backup.

Is this just a default behavior I can turn off?

All help welcomly received

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

In the selection list uncheck the entire server and then place a checkmark against the drives which are

required to be backed up. When you place a checkmark at the root of the server (i.e, server name) all

the resources of the server are selected and hence the usb disk has also been included in the selection

list.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

In the selection list uncheck the entire server and then place a checkmark against the drives which are

required to be backed up. When you place a checkmark at the root of the server (i.e, server name) all

the resources of the server are selected and hence the usb disk has also been included in the selection

list.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you select the entire server any new drive will automatically be added to the selection list. You can deselect the entire server and only select the drives that you want to backup. This will turn off SDR for this backup. Alternatively, you can leave things as they are and prevent the .bkf files from being backed up. See the bottom of this document http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO98839

corriessol
Level 3

Ah I see, so the crucial step is to deselect the server at the root of the Browse first and then select what I want.  Think I had been doing this without deselecting the Server first.

Sorry to have bothered you with an obvious one...

I will post back next week to confirm it has worked.

Thank you

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Take note that when you deselect the server, you cannot use SDR to restore the server

corriessol
Level 3

Thanks for your assistance... the backups have been running without issue for a week now.

Regards