cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014- catalog/media option.

khoagk
Level 3

hello,

where can find the Catalog configuration as well as the media label? I want to set a preset media label name and everytime i catalog a new tape it would use that preset. How can configure media to go to a default media set after i catalog it? thank you for all your help in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
By catalog, I take it to mean the time you introduce a new tape to BE. The term Catalog has a very different meaning from the situation that you are describing Why do you want to use a single default label? If you have a single default label then you have a problem. You are going to end up with multiple tapes with the same label and you will have a problem accessing your backup sets. Also, once a tape is labeled, you cannot change the label until the next time you overwrite the tape. Each tape MUST have a unique label. Before you use a tape, put it into the tape drive/library, right-click on the tape drive/slot and select label. This will allow you label the tape. If you are using a tape library, you might want to explore using barcode labels which makes labeling easier. See my article below. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-barcode-labels-why-and-how The only time a tape is moved automatically to another media set is when a job writes to it. For new tapes, you should put them into the scratch media set so that they can be overwritten. After the job, the tape will be moved to the media set targeted by the job.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Sym-cr
Level 5

The catalog configuration in BE 2014 is available under the global options:

Click Backup Exec Icon/button on the top-left corner of the BE console -> Configuration and Settings -> Backup Exec Settings -> In the left pane, click 'Catalog'.

For Media Labeling, refer the below mentioned article: 

Labeling tape media

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO98897

Also, check the links for other related articles mentioned in the above document.

Thanks!!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
By catalog, I take it to mean the time you introduce a new tape to BE. The term Catalog has a very different meaning from the situation that you are describing Why do you want to use a single default label? If you have a single default label then you have a problem. You are going to end up with multiple tapes with the same label and you will have a problem accessing your backup sets. Also, once a tape is labeled, you cannot change the label until the next time you overwrite the tape. Each tape MUST have a unique label. Before you use a tape, put it into the tape drive/library, right-click on the tape drive/slot and select label. This will allow you label the tape. If you are using a tape library, you might want to explore using barcode labels which makes labeling easier. See my article below. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-barcode-labels-why-and-how The only time a tape is moved automatically to another media set is when a job writes to it. For new tapes, you should put them into the scratch media set so that they can be overwritten. After the job, the tape will be moved to the media set targeted by the job.

khoagk
Level 3

yes i mean by introducing new tapes to BE. This is my first time using a robotic tape library also. In BE 2012, when i introduce new tape to BE , it would label it with the next available #.I will look into thebarcode option.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Normally, we prefer to control the labeling rather than let BE do the labeling automatically

khoagk
Level 3

I will go with the manual tape option instead of letting BE do the labeling automatically. How does BE chose which tape for which job using robotic tape library? what kind of partitioning should I use?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
See this document http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22313 Unless you have some specific reasons, I would suggest that you avoid partitions

khoagk
Level 3

when using the robotic tape libary, how do I set it up to run mutilple  full backup jobs (staging with different time), and chose the next available tape for different days? once again, thank you for all your help and quick responds.