cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Admin Console "Authentication Service is unknown" when connecting to a remote media server.

Xara
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

I have a few symantec backup exec media servers at remote locations. I am connected to all locations through a permanent VPN connection.

I can pass data back and forth through the VPN. I am trying to add the media servers on each of the remote servers to my backup exec admin console.

When i try to add a media server, it locates the server, can see an uptodate status of the services, can restart services, but wont add the media server to my console.

After entering the correct administrative usernames and passwords, i get an error stating that "the authentication service is unknown". I cant find any details of what is stopping my connection and i have no idea what the error actually refers to.

I have tried connecting to multiple remote media servers and i get the same message each time. When i connect to a media server on the same network - i have no problems. It just seems to be through the VPN.

My admin console is installed on an XP Pro SP3 PC and i'm mainly trying to connect to SBS 2003 servers with Backup exec V12 or 12.5 installed.

Any assistance in how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

Xara
Level 3
Partner
I have been further testing this and found that i can connect to windows 2008 server, windows 200 server and windows 2003 server. So the issue only lies with SBS2003. 

This can only mean its an issue with security on SBS 2003 or perhaps its an issue with the SBS version of backup exec.

Can anyone shed any light or suggest anything to troubleshoot or resolve?

Thanks

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
An SBS server is also a DC so will be subject to (default) security policies from the Domain Controllers container  in AD which might therefore have different limitations from those of member servers thet are not SBS servers and not DCs

Xara
Level 3
Partner
Thanks Colin that makes perfect sense.

Any idea which particular DC group policies i need to change to get this working?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Not off hand, but anything that might affect remote DCOM access would probably be a good start

Xara
Level 3
Partner
Still no joy with this - dcom settings are correct from what i can see and the group olicy settings replicate those on a standard windows 2003 server.

There is defintiely something different on an SBS 2003 setup which is stopping this - any ideas?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

Have you tried using that server's IP address?

Xara
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

Tried the ip and tried setting up a host file as well for it. I beleive its some sort of security issue in SBS, have tried speaking with symantec as well, but they are unsure.