cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - New hardware generic volume shadow copy

mistblind
Level 2

Hi everyone!

Recently i'v been experiencing problems with my Backup exec 12.5 installation. Whenever a backup initiates, the windows New hardware found wizard pops up saying that it has found Generic volume shadow copy, and that it needs to be installed. The backup wont continue until I finish the wizard and install the new device windows has found. This, of course, causes the backups to time-out because i'm often not present to go through the damn wizard.

Any ideas!

9 REPLIES 9

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

What device you are using?

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

On which device your backup are going to too like backup to disk or tape if it is backup to disk then it is created on local disk or on NAS or using lun on SAN

Thank You

mistblind
Level 2

All backups are made to tape.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

I'd start by doing a repair of BE 12.5 through Add/Remove Programs, and make sure you have all the available updates installed too.

If this worked in the past, was anything installed before this error started?

Thanks!

AmolB

After installing SP4 and other hotfixes make sure you install the Symantec drivers for the 

tape device by running tapeinst.exe

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Can you please try this too

To rename the Catroot2 folder, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each line:
net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
net start cryptsvc
exit

After you renamed the Catroot2 folder and restart server, please then try to run Backup program again

Please view on the link below for reference see if that helps

http://thedailyreviewer.com/server/view/generic-volume-shadow-copy-driver-problem-104473090

Thank You

Colin_Weaver

To be honest if the creation of a shadow copy causes Windows to decide it has found new hardware then you probably need to be looking at the operating system, not the backup product.

mistblind
Level 2

Thanks for the awesome replies!

I've already done what itsmeaffinityhas suggested. I haven't restarted the server though. I'm unable to test the other suggestions at the moment. I'll get back to you when have.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

I will wait for your update on same if that works great news but if not then as per above post you will have to call Microsoft to resolve the issue  & will be out of scope of this forum

Please mark this resolved if this help you

Thank You