cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Utility Archiving Option tasks

Anderson_Candid
Level 3

Hi,

I need free up a disc (4TB) of my pool backups to split into 2 disks 2TB each. However this disk has data backups that I would like to delete.
Do not want to miss the references in the catalog, just delete the files from the disk because it already went to tape and I need to split into 2 discs If I ever need to restore these files, I will have to tape.

I was in Backup Exec Archiving Option Utility tasks but the options were not enabled.
How to accomplish this without major losses?
Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You backup sets on tape will have different catalogs from your backup sets on disk. 

As such if you want to clean up some of your older backup sets on disk all you need to do is expire the backup sets and then wait up to 4 hours for DLM to do its background housekeeping.

Edit: the above does assume you duplicated the backup sets from  disk to tape and did not just flat file backup the file system that contians your disk based backups (which is NOT recommended practice)

The Archive Option is nothing do do with housekeeping backup sets, it is a specific option relating to e-mails and files (and is actually an embedded / cut-down version of Enterprise Vault). You might want to read up on this to see if it really offers what you seem to be trying to do

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Did you purchase and install a licence for the BE Archive option?

2) If you do have a licence, did you install the Archive option?

3) Post a screenshot of what you are talking about.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You backup sets on tape will have different catalogs from your backup sets on disk. 

As such if you want to clean up some of your older backup sets on disk all you need to do is expire the backup sets and then wait up to 4 hours for DLM to do its background housekeeping.

Edit: the above does assume you duplicated the backup sets from  disk to tape and did not just flat file backup the file system that contians your disk based backups (which is NOT recommended practice)

The Archive Option is nothing do do with housekeeping backup sets, it is a specific option relating to e-mails and files (and is actually an embedded / cut-down version of Enterprise Vault). You might want to read up on this to see if it really offers what you seem to be trying to do

Anderson_Candid
Level 3

thanks guys.

The information deleted and recreated the discs.