cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec for SBS, when SBS is virtual

matt_allford
Level 4

Hi all,

I have been tearing my hair out the last few days trying to find a cost effective way for one of my clients to back up their data. We use Backup Exec and Backup Exec Server Recover at 90% of our clients and would like to continure to use it in this situation:

We plan to install the following hardware / software:

• 1 physical machine with tape drive (HP Ultrium)
  • 2 virtual machines running in Hyper V, 1 is SBS 2011 the other being Server 2008 R2 Standard

Our Goal:

• To have a tape backup every night, which includes files / folders / exchange that sit on the virtual SBS
  • To have an image taken every weekend of the host machine, using symantec backup exec server recovery, onto an external HDD

Our Questions / Concerns:

• For cost means, we would like to purchase a SBS OEM bundle. We have purchased a few of these, and they include both Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 for SBS AND Symantec Backup Exec Server Recovery 2010 for SBS
  • According to http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125965 we can install Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 on the host machine using our SBS license in the pack mentioned above. But, what does this actually mean? Sure, we get to install BUE on the host machine so it can write to tape drive, but I want to back up files, folder and exchange on my virtual SBS. Do we need extra licensing? Detail here would be great
  • Do we need to purchase a Hyper-V agent to be able to back up our second virtualised machine (Server 2008 R2 standard), even though though this operating system is included with SBS premium?
  • Can we also install Symantec Backup Exec Server Recovery on the host using the SBS license?

We may have some more questions depending on some answers provided.

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Let me be very simple in my response:

-->> If you have a Hyper-V Virtual machine on which SBS Operating System is installed, then YOU CAN install the Backup Exec on the Hyper-V host machine and use the Backup exec SBS License key. You just have to ensure that during the installation of Backup Exec on the Hyper-V host you need to have the SBS virtual machine up and running.

-->> If you have only 2 Hyper- V virtual machines then there is no need to buy license for Agent for Hyper-V in Backup Exec. Just buy 2 Remote agent license which will be much cheaper then buying a Hyper-V agent. Install the remote agent on 2 Virtual machines.

In future if you are plannning to increase the number of virtual machines more than say 5 then buying Hyper-V agent will be cost effective.

-->> I dont think you will be able to install Backup Exec System Recovery with SBS license on the host machine as the host machine is standard machine. Just use the standard license and take the complete backup of you Host which will also backup the VHD files of Virtual machine so that you can bring backup the Virtual machine easily during disaster.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

AmolB

For cost means, we would like to purchase a SBS OEM bundle. We have purchased a few of these, and they include both Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 for SBS AND Symantec Backup Exec Server Recovery 2010 for SBS

Backup Exec for SBS can be installed only on SBS not on standard server.

According to http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125965 we can install Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 on the host machine using our SBS license in the pack mentioned above. But, what does this actually mean? Sure, we get to install BUE on the host machine so it can write to tape drive, but I want to back up files, folder and exchange on my virtual SBS. Do we need extra licensing? Detail here would be great

If your host machine is standard server where you want to install BE then you need not by BE for SBS.

To Backup Exchange server which is hosted on SBS you need Remote Agent for Exchange, which 

will allow you take backup of Exchange + file & folders.

Do we need to purchase a Hyper-V agent to be able to back up our second virtualised machine (Server 2008 R2 standard), even though though this operating system is included with SBS premium?

1 Hyper V agent will allow you to take backup of all the VM's hosted but the Hyper V server.

If the VM's are having any Application, in your case Exchange then you need to buy the agent related 

to the application. So you have 2 options here, buy 1 Exchange agent for Exchange server and buy 1 

Remote Agent for Windows for the Win 2008 R2 server OR  buy 1 Hyper V agent and 1 Exchange

Agent. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should read the document quoted by the OP.  Solution 1 clearly states that it can be installed on the host.

matt_allford
Level 4

Did you even read the document?

That document clearly states that I can use the 'BUE for SBS' license on the host machine (Windows server standard 2008 R2). If they allow you to use the SBS license on the host machine, then I also think that the license should allow you to back up exchange on the virtual SBS (otherwise what is really the point of allowing the SBS license to be entered into an install on Server 2008 R2 standard.

AmolB

Apologies, I didn't go through the document.

Sush---
Level 6

Let me be very simple in my response:

-->> If you have a Hyper-V Virtual machine on which SBS Operating System is installed, then YOU CAN install the Backup Exec on the Hyper-V host machine and use the Backup exec SBS License key. You just have to ensure that during the installation of Backup Exec on the Hyper-V host you need to have the SBS virtual machine up and running.

-->> If you have only 2 Hyper- V virtual machines then there is no need to buy license for Agent for Hyper-V in Backup Exec. Just buy 2 Remote agent license which will be much cheaper then buying a Hyper-V agent. Install the remote agent on 2 Virtual machines.

In future if you are plannning to increase the number of virtual machines more than say 5 then buying Hyper-V agent will be cost effective.

-->> I dont think you will be able to install Backup Exec System Recovery with SBS license on the host machine as the host machine is standard machine. Just use the standard license and take the complete backup of you Host which will also backup the VHD files of Virtual machine so that you can bring backup the Virtual machine easily during disaster.

Thanks,

-Sush...

matt_allford
Level 4

Hi sush,

Thanks for the reply. So I can use the BU SBS license to install BU on the host, but I still need to buy a windows agent to back up my virtual SBS? What about Exchange? There is an exchange license included with BU for SBS, so can I use this to back up exchange on my virtual SBS?

Sush---
Level 6

Yes you can use the BU SBS on the host... but as I said that SBS VM must be up and running.

Also as its a SBS License key Exchange agent will be included in it. So there is no need to buy extra Exchange agent license. Just install the Remote agent on the VMs and that should be enough to take the backups.

If you have got the required information then you mark the appropriate response which has helped you as Solution.

Any further questions are welcomed.

Thanks,

-Sush...

matt_allford
Level 4

Hi Sush,

That's great about the Exchange agent, I am curious as to why the normal windows agent in the BU for SBS doesn't cover off backing up windows on my virtual SBS. Is this because it is usually installed on that machine?

Also, Which media do I use to install the software on the host. I will make sure the SBS is running as a virtual machine, can I then use the Backup Exec SBS software DVD to install on my host, or do I need to use the Standard Backup Exec and just use the SBS key?

Thanks, Matt.

Sush---
Level 6

The DVD is common for all the types. SO there is different no DVD for SBS and Standard,.... its the same... just that its differentiated in the License. And mke sure that its Backup Exec 2010 R2.

Thanks,

-Sush...

matt_allford
Level 4

Excellent, thanks Sush.

One last thing, any thoughts on my last question from before;

That's great about the Exchange agent, I am curious as to why the normal windows agent in the BU for SBS doesn't cover off backing up windows on my virtual SBS. Is this because it is usually installed on that machine?

Sush---
Level 6

Well that is because you can not install the SBS license on standard server... it is possible only if its on the Hyper-V machine and SBS is installed on VM.

Its by design.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Colin_Weaver

As a warning be very sure that your SBS server (whether virtual or physical inside Hyper-V) reports as SBS and not as Foundation Edition (2008 FE) as the Foundation Edition is not compatible with our SBS licensing currently and you have to use the standard/core edition with appropriate agents

matt_allford
Level 4

Colin,

Thanks for the heads up. The server will be the full version of Windows Small Business Server 2011 - I presume this will be OK, as stated in the online document in the KB, it needs to be SBS2008 or later.

Thanks.

Colin_Weaver

Just to re-inforce my comment - we have had reports that customers have bought SBS from Micosoft - and to all intents and purposes it looks like SBS (Splash screens, admin utiltities etc) - but in the System Information it reports as 2008 FE. You may only find this out after you have installed the operating system - hence the heads up.