cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec freezes while scheduling backup job

Brett121
Level 3

Hi Folks,

I have a fresh installation of Backup Exec 12 on a Windows 2003 server.

After creating a new back up job, the Backup Job Properties window will disappear after clicking on "Run according to schedule", and Backup Exec will freeze. I have to close it via task manager.

Selecting "Run Now" or "Run On" does not cause any problems. Just the "Run according to schedule" option.

Nothing shows up in the event viewer to indicate there's a problem. The properties window simply vanishes and the whole thing hangs up.

Anyone come across this issue?

Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10

Vfantacone
Not applicable
I am having the same issue on my 2003 server. I can set up the job but when I select the radial buttom for "Run according to schedule" the job dissapears and the Backup Exec 12 software freezes and can only be shut down from ending task.  

KentACT
Level 3

November 5th, 2008...

I'm also having this exact problem with a fresh install of BE V12.5 on a freshly installed Windows 2003 Server. Is anyone at Symantec reviewing this forum? Can anyone offer assistance with this issue?

Anup
Level 6
Certified

Scheduling backups using the "Edit Schedule Details" Option causes Backup Exec for Windows Servers (BEWS) to hang or freeze

Scheduling backups using the "Edit Schedule Details" Option causes Backup Exec for Windows Servers (BEWS) to hang or freeze.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/308219

KentACT
Level 3

Anup,

I tried registering the pvcalendar.ocx file per the instructions provided in your two KB links, and it did not resolve the problem. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

KentACT

Province
Not applicable

I Repaired the Backupexec 12 installation. Installed new drivers and installed service pack 2 for backup exec 12. I also registered pvcalendar.ocx and also re-installed .net framework version 2. All these steps did not solve my problem. Can anybody assist!!!

Currently I need to run the jobs manaully.

KentACT
Level 3

Sorry for the late posting...

I finally fixed my server's problem by installing the latest Java, available at the following location:

http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_ie.jsp?locale=en&host=www.java.com:80&bhcp=1

and then uninstalling and reinstalling BE V12.5. I was able to schedule a backup fine after that.

KentACT

Brett121
Level 3
03/24/09

Re-registering the calendar file, (http://support.veritas.com/docs/302050) solved the issue, but it only lasted a few weeks, then I started having issues again.

Last night I ran the SP3 update, and the problem seems to be resolved. Hopefully it sticks this time.

-Brett

Brett121
Level 3

Fredrick_Smith
Level 3

Check if Sharepoint Services is install.  I unistalled it and that fixed my problem.

KentACT
Level 3
This problem surfaced again on April 1st, no pun intended. I have tried all teh steps i took last time, ie applied all the latest SPs and hotfixes, and installed the latest Java, and have even uninstalled and reinstalled, and have not resolved the problem. I tried re-registering the pvcalendar.ocx, and still no joy. There are no Sharepoint Services on this server, so no help there. If anyone has any other suggestions. I'd appreciate your help.