cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec keeping only one backup on storage device.

AndyShap
Level 2

Hi, please forgive this simple question.

I have a client with Backup Exec for WIndows Servers (Version 10).

On the backup report, everything looks perfect. But when I look at the storage media, there is only one file with the newest backup. I am thinking I should be seeing one file for each evening's backup. 

Can someone advise on what might be the probelm?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

What is your Overwrite Protection Period set to?  If it isnt set for long enough it may be overwriting your backups.  see:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459

AndyShap
Level 2

I want to be sure I stated that this is an external hard drive as the backup source.  When I right click on the media set name and look at properties, both overwrite and append are greyed out, but I can see NONE is chosen. I do have access to the dropdown box next to append..

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is because the Overwrite Protection Level is set to None. You should set the OPL to either Partial or Full. Go to Tools ----> Options ----> Data Management to do so. OPL = None means that there is no data protection so your Bantu sets get overwritten every time BTW BE 10 is already EOL. You should update the the latest version

AndyShap
Level 2

Hi, Thank you for your response.  I followed your directions and switched OPL from None to Full.  The previous backup is still being erased. Anyone have any other ideas?

lmosla
Level 6

A few things: check for disk fragmentation,  try recreating the job and make sure you have at least 30% of free disk space

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What options have you chosen in the backup job, i.e. is it set to Overwrite Media, or Append to media ?

And what are the OPP/APP of the media set which is chosen in the backup job ?

Lastly, while creating the B2D, did you change any settings or chose the default settings ?