cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec tries remote agent first when we do not backup any remote servers

URSNZADMIN
Not applicable

For the past few weeks all my backup jobs have been 'failing', with the following error:

"The resource could not be backed up becasue an error occurred while conecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Make Sure the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer"

It started to happen after I did an update of backup exec using live update.

Now, the job isn't really failing. What happens is that it tries to use the remote agent, it kicks up that failure and then successfully backs everything up using the local agent.

I've been doing test restores, and I'm absolutely sure it IS working properly. However it still marks the job as failed.

Have you seen anything like this before?

If not, do we have a support number/email for backup exec that I can contact?

I've tried everything I can find on the internet, from resetting the backup account password in the interface, to re-installing the remote agent (which it doesn't need as it uses the local agent anyway!).

Apparently local agents can leverage the remote agent for better compression or something though?...

Anyway, I'm a bit stumped...

Thanks,

Mark

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You can find the correct phone number at this page

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_numbers.jsp?pid=15047

is this for a remote server, or on the media server itself?

did you re-install the RAWS after the media server update?

pfx82
Level 4

Some further insight to this is as follows.

The first part of the error:

"The resource could not be backed up becasue an error occurred while conecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent."

What resource ? Whats the error ?

A way to isolate the issue is to change the resource order in the backup job.

What is the first resource in the backup job ?

How to check and change the resource order.

Don't mind the version, it hasn't changed since 9.x/10.x

Also you can check in the job log to see which resource the remote agent received an error on.