cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec v12.5 with VCB job FAILS with unspecified error message

lanboss
Level 3
Setup is W2K8 Enterprise physical server as VCB proxy with Backup Exec v12.5. VCB and VMware Converter installed locally; Physical VCS server; ESX server hosting the VMs over iSCSI SAN connections. I ran a successful B2D of a VM via NBD by pointing the job at the VCS. Now that I have successfully connected to the LUNS with the MS iSCSI client, I want to use the SAN transport to reproduce that job. So, I....
-- edited the VCB config.js file to reflect SAN transport.
-- edited the W2K8 path variable to include vcbMounter.exe

Configured the job options in Backup Exec:
-- points to the VCS server.
--Credentials test good.
-- Device points to a B2D folder used for the previously successful job.
-- VVI options set to SAN transport, Use VCB compact for VMDK files; Export as single file.

When I run the job, it goes to status "pre-processing", changes to status "exporting" and after 1 min 30 sec FAILS with an unspecified error in the job log. The job leaves three files in the target B2D folder: B2D00005.bkf; Changer.cfg; Folder.cfg.

My understanding is that with VMware v4.0 and Backup Exec v12.5, there is no need to run a Pre-command to mount the VM.

What am I missing here?
1 REPLY 1

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Hi
I guess i dont understand the following
"edited the VCB config.js file to reflect SAN transport.
-- edited the W2K8 path variable to include vcbMounter.exe"

If you are want the backup to use San transport you need to set that in the backup job properties ,
and you dont have to run any pre and post command if you have the AVVI agent .
You just need to install VCB and when u run the backup job it would run the Vcb scripts on the backgroung .. I might be wrong as dont have expertise ...