cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Gets stuck on 3 of 30 servers

pworsham
Level 3
I have a backup job that consistantly gets stuck on 3 of my 30-ish machines that gets backed up.  If they are in the middle of the job, the job gets stuck and requires a reboot on both ends to cancel.  If I take out the 3 machines in question, the backup works.  I took the 3 offenders and put them into their own job, but that job gets stuck at "queued" status forever.  I have tried the following:

Upgrading server to 12.5
All current patches
Upgrading clients to to 12.5 also

Creating a new job and selection list

creating a new B2D folder on a different physical volume

A couple of obscure knowledge base articles that call for restoring original 2k3 server files

Also yelling at the console a lot.

If you look at the offending machine, the backup client appears to go to a working status, but no data gets moved at all.  Keep in mind that these machines that had been working for at least 2 years without issue, and the others work fine.
10 REPLIES 10

nia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Do you have any new software installed on these servers like AV with tamper protection or real time scan?
Can you post some logs from the backup Job?

Regards,
Nikos

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Do these servers possibly have a lotus notes client installed on them?

DR0701
Level 5
With the separate job you have set up, have you tried changing the backup order to see which machine in particular is causing the issue?

Also, you say you've upgraded the clients - were these upgraded, or have you tried removing the agents, rebooting the machines and reinstalling the agents from scratch?

Doug.

pworsham
Level 3
I don't think we have changed any virus scan settings.  I have attached a sample log.

None of the clients has notes on it, though we are a lotus shop and have a domino server.

I have tried changing the order on the test job, all 3 machines experience the same symptoms.

I believe I did try uninstalling, deleting any symantec registry keys, rebooting and reinstalling.  I will try this again.

pworsham
Level 3
Any more ideas?  I have removed these 3 machines from my selection lists and the back works.

pworsham
Level 3
Still having this issue... anyone else?

pworsham
Level 3

After about 10 updates to the 12.5 software, i'm still having this issue.  Does symantec support it's software at all?

ZacTech
Level 4
We are having the same problem.  Its been like this for years. We have 2 jobs, so the servers are split.  Basically about once a week the job will just hang on a server FOREVER.  If we don't do something about it will NEVER move on to the next server. 
I started using a program called cports to see all the connections to our backup exec server so I can find the exact server that its stuck on. I don't know why backup exec cannot acurrately tell me what server its on.  With cports I can kill the port 10000 connection so the job can at least finish (albeit with out backing up that server).  After rebooting the client server it will not have this issue for a good chunk of time. And its not always the same servers, its random servers at random times.  Symantec was never able to help us with this and I have never been able to find a solution.  I don't care what reason the backup job is stuck on a server for, IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO MOVE ON TO THE NEXT SERVER.

Philip_D
Level 5
Symantec does support their software, but this isn't an official support forum.  It's here for users of the software to help each other out, and when Symantec employees can help, they do.  You may need to open a support case with Symantec for your issue.

dave_emel
Not applicable
Wow, What a business. If only Dr. Norton knew... $3500.00 for the server training.... a clicky course and still we have locked threads. Guess I should have researched Backup Exec better before thinking it was the same technical engineering program it used to be before cyber-application lock-in seized the industry and played on people's technical ambiguity. This is why I stopped trusting Norton Anti-Virus. It became so Corporate influenced that it has it's own family of rootkits. Wish these corporations would learn faster by their mistakes. Guess that is asking to much of public companies.

Thank you for posting this thread. I apoligize that I have no good solutions to offer. I can only cantise your problems with knowing my issues while simular stem from the install ambiguity and application dependancies with Symantec's push for application dominace while ignoring true value. I cant blame them as the patent storms of late 90's and early 20th century caused and hightened this fiasco for all the major vendors.