cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Job: Taking 10 hours to backup 1.5gb of SS

borse2008
Level 3
Partner

I have created a seperate job for a backup to run, away from the main backup, the system state is only 1.5gb but takes 10 hours when it starts at 0630 ends at 1800.

Why would this be? The transfer rate is low too, 300mb/s?

I have attached the picture to show you these two jobs are just SS data from the server but its taking 10 hours?

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

does it only happen on 1 server? Check to make sure that no antivirus is actively scanning the beremote.exe service on that server, and if so, put in an exclusion for it.

You can also try copying data between the media server and that server to check the network transfer speed.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If just the system state backup is slow, you could also consider disabling NetDMA, TCP Offload Engine & RSS.

Here are couple of KBs on how to disable these features:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948496

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979612

borse2008
Level 3
Partner

I had to split off SS from the daily backup as it was failing when doing this, there is only one server.

From the attachment, the daily backup was included the SS, nothing major has changed recently if anything. I have split it off as a seperate job, after it cancelled at the same point.

In the first you can see the historical backups that were successful, then you can see the next picture are where the failures kick in.

I have excluded C:\program files\symantec\backup exec folder from sophos

borse2008
Level 3
Partner

Hi All,

So a daily backup job has cancelled from this same server i have eliminated the backup of ss. 

The tape was in scratch media after i quick erased it, before this did a test that it was writing data successful.

Come to check this morning its been backing up over night from 2030 264gb but cancelled due to automatic time out after 10 hours? 

Firstly why is it taking 10 hours when historical backups of this job are taking on average 630hrs to 7hrs.

Will restart the server? Any advice?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the job log and check how long does it take to backup each resource. Possibly the backup completed on time, however there may have been an alert which required a response. Check if there is any outstanding alert which requires a response or not. (Best to enable automatic display of new alerts from Tools - Options - Preferences).