cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Keeps Failing

htt
Level 3

I have an MSL5000.  I set slot 1 - 22 for pool 1 and slot 23 - 24 for pool 2.  Pool 1 is for daily backup and pool 2 is for weekend backup.  Daily backup has been running fine w/o any problem for years.  Weekend backup started to fail couple weeks ago.  I have updated the firmware to latest ones using HP LTT; I used Veritas drivers for the 2 tape drives. 

The weird thing is it cannot communicate to new tapes, exisiting weekend tapes.  After backup failure I cannot use them on any other MSL loader or 160/320 single tape drive because they are all bad.  I used HP LTT to test the loader with new tapes.  All functions passed the test.  I then tried a weekend backup using these same tapes that just passed the test, the backup failed again saying the tapes had bad block.

Sometime I got luck when Backup Exec was backup, restore, catalog a test backup then when I use the very same test for weekend backup it failed again saying communication problem as Data error (cyclic redundancy check). The weekday backup runs w/o any problem using pool 1.

It drives me nut!  Have you guys seen this kind of problem?  Thanks.

0 REPLIES 0