cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Methodology Advice

jcruz1027
Level 2

My first post went well so I'm hoping I gain some advice from some of the seasoned backup exec pros.  A little background, running Backup Exec 2010 R3 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (physical) server.  I have a PowerVault MD1000 with 3TB of storage and a HP Storageworks MSL4048.  Our server room consists of an Exchange 2010 (physical) server along with 7 physical hosts (vSphere 4.1) that hosts about 50 Windows & Linux servers.  We also currently use vRanger Pro to backup our virtual servers.

I kind of feel like (I took over backups after a co-worker suddenly died at the console) I'm backing up most things twice.  Specifically with our file servers.  Backup Exec does a daily differential (disk-to-disk) every evening for our 5 File Servers (virtual) and then a full backup over the weekend (disk-to-tape).  vRanger Pro does a nightly full backup (disk-to-disk) and then backup exec duplicates it to tape every evening.  Since all the file servers are virtual, is there a way I can streamline this process so I only backup the file servers once?

Thanks

Jerry

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jerry,

So why not check out BE's AVVI? Using this you are able to back up the VMs completely to your MD1000, and from there stream off to tape if need be (disk-to-disk-to-tape). This has the added advantage (with the Remote Agent for Windows Servers agent installed) of allowing you to do GRT restores if need be.

This is all done in 1 pass...you have the added benefit of having 1 vendor becoming a point of call for support, as well as these forums.

If you choose the AVVI option, you can invoke a 60-day trial of the license. I'd then also suggest you read the best practices guide below along with details on how the agent is licensed:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO21769

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130945

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You only need 1 AVVI licence for each physical host and you can backup any number of VM's on these hosts.  With a AVVI licence, you are entitled to install RAWS into the Windows VM's and RALUS into the Linux VM's without further charges.  Once you have the RAWS and RALUS installed, you can back them up as if they are physical machines.  For the Windows VM's, you can backup the entire VM and then restore individual files/folders using GRT.  GRT restore is not available for Linux VM which means that if you want to restore individual files/folders you would have to back it up as if it is a physical machine.

I believe it is cheaper to buy an AVVI licence if you have more than 3 VM's to protect on that physical host.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jerry,

So why not check out BE's AVVI? Using this you are able to back up the VMs completely to your MD1000, and from there stream off to tape if need be (disk-to-disk-to-tape). This has the added advantage (with the Remote Agent for Windows Servers agent installed) of allowing you to do GRT restores if need be.

This is all done in 1 pass...you have the added benefit of having 1 vendor becoming a point of call for support, as well as these forums.

If you choose the AVVI option, you can invoke a 60-day trial of the license. I'd then also suggest you read the best practices guide below along with details on how the agent is licensed:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO21769

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130945

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You only need 1 AVVI licence for each physical host and you can backup any number of VM's on these hosts.  With a AVVI licence, you are entitled to install RAWS into the Windows VM's and RALUS into the Linux VM's without further charges.  Once you have the RAWS and RALUS installed, you can back them up as if they are physical machines.  For the Windows VM's, you can backup the entire VM and then restore individual files/folders using GRT.  GRT restore is not available for Linux VM which means that if you want to restore individual files/folders you would have to back it up as if it is a physical machine.

I believe it is cheaper to buy an AVVI licence if you have more than 3 VM's to protect on that physical host.