cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Strategy using Disk to Disk to Tape

Andrew_Lee
Level 3
I'm trying to set up a strategy where I can backup our network. We have about 30 windows 2003 servers and 5 of them are running sql.

We have about 2.5 TB on our SAN that we can use to backup to disk. The problem I'm running into is that I run out of space and I'm trying to keep about a week's worth of data on the SAN before it overwrites.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank You

Andrew
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you trying to do FULLS nightly?  or FULLS weekkly  with nightly INCR/DIFF?

about how much data do you backup each night?

Andrew_Lee
Level 3
Sorry for not being more clear. Here is my strategy.

I'm trying to run incrementals M-F. Do a Full backup on Saturday and write them to tape on Sunday.

An average night, we back up about 619GB. Most of this comes from doing a full backup of SQL databases.

Thank You for your help

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Well, 5 nights worth of 600GB is ~3TB, so you are not going to be able to keep and entire weeks worth of backups online  In fact 4 nights worth will be ~2.4TB

if you just want to keep as much as possible, set the Global Overwrite Option to "use scratch media before overwriteable media in the target media set"

Then set the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) for the media set(s) to 3 days  Backup Exec should use all of the space available on the target volume, then start overwriteing beginning with the oldest (first created)

Andrew_Lee
Level 3
First of all, thank you for your prompt responses Ken

Where would I go to enable that global overwrite option?

Thank You

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Tools\Options\Media Management