cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup error with external HP 448 tapestreamer

Profix_IT_Solut
Level 3

I get final error 0xe00084c8 with every backup job - The backup storage device has failed.

It does this when verifying the data on the tape: HP1 reported an error on a request to read data from the media. The request could net performed because of an I/O device error.

Also when restoring I sometimes get this error. The tapestreamer has been replaced by HP, and tomorrow I'm also replacing the SCSI-card.
The Liberary and tape tools from HP give me no errors.

Anyone having this problem as well?

Thanks!
Niels

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello

Check the properties of the tape, make sure there are no hard read\write errors.

If there are errors then perform cleaning of the tape device and erase the tape.

Also check System log in the Event viewer for event id's like 9,11 or 15.

Above events are related to hardware.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the only other thing to check is that Removable Storage service is stopped and disabled (RSM), and look at replacing the SCSI card.

Run through the Device Configuration WIzard again and reinstall the Symantec drivers for good measure.

Profix_IT_Solut
Level 3

Thanks for the advise. HP replaced both the tapestreamer and the SCSI card, but unfortunately with no results. Also reinstalled the drivers and the complete backup exec software, version 2010, fully updated, etc.

Backup Exec is still giving me hard read errors. No particular events in the Event Log other than the event saying the backup has failed (33152, 35665, 34113)

I'm starting to believe it has something to do with the fact that it's an external drive. Other clients of us use internal streamers and those never gave any problems.

If you have some more things I can try...???

Thanks again!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...try a new tape. They could now simply be old.

An external drive doesn't matter...I have a site or 2 running external HP StorageWorks Ultrium LTO3 drives with no issues.

Profix_IT_Solut
Level 3

Tapes are all pretty new, few months old. Our client has multiple tapes, and all tapes give errors. I don't believe all 5 tapes are defective...

Thanks for the advice though! :)

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

This might sound patronising, but are you sure the SCSI cables are connected the right way?

I came across a site using an HP Ultrium (448e I think) that had been connected with the SCSI cable and SCSI terminator in the wrong ports. The drive did actually work, but not as it should, with pauses and errors here and there.

Profix_IT_Solut
Level 3
You can only the cable in one way, so that can't be the problem. Doesn't have a terminator. We replaced the external tape streamer with an internal one, and the problem disappeared.... Backup is running fine now. Beats me..